Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Problem with 99 accord, pulley wobbling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM
lamarthrasher132
Unregistered
Default Problem with 99 accord, pulley wobbling?

A month ago i bought a 99 black accord coupe with 122K miles on it, the guy claimed nothing was wrong with it but we found it was burning a quart of oil every 150 miles and a piston ring had fallen out and it needed a new engine.We ended up getting the car for 500 bucks, body in perfect shape.My brother works at a shop, we ordered a 45K engine from cali. (a japanese one) and put it in. It makes a slight whirring noise but we think that is just the new timing belt.The real problem is that the pulley for the accessory belt/timing belt is wobbling a significant amount. We put a new pulley on and its still doing it. A friend of mine thinks that the crank shaft could have gotten bent/cracked in shipping but those things are very strong...The place we ordered it from tests all engines before selling them and has a 6 month unlimited mile warentee...Any ideas on what the problem is?The car runs perfectly, i've only driven it for about 20 miles cause if we end up NOT needing a new engine i dont want to mess it up before we can find out what the problem is and fix it.
Please help!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Problem with 99 accord, pulley wobbling?

On that pulley check to make sure that it fits on the crank properly and doesn't have a big gap, some of the aftermarket pulleys are more narrow so the bolt doesn't hold them tight.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM

This may not apply to the engine you bought, but I have seen salvage yards remove engines with a forklift/claw lift in a really harsh fashion.
They would cut the mounts and stub axles, then grab the engine and lift it out.
The engine, radiator and tranny would come right out, but sometimes would fall back into the engine bay or onto the shop floor.
Those two specific salvage yards are in Memphis, TN, and they sold most of the engines for the aluminum, but once in a while a tuner would want one, and they'd sell it for cheap.
Anyhow, if the engine was moved with machinery, the pulley could have sustained a hard blow to the rim, angling it to the direction of the shaft socket on the pulley, or even bending the crank end- right at the main.
Just athought. good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Turn it by hand and see if it wobbles (like out of round). There's another option...

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 PM

shoot it?