Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Default Pulstar Pulse Plugs

So before anyone immediate shouts "Snake Oil" or "Scam", I'm curious about these. Pulstar Pulse Plugs. It makes sense, so in theory it seems plausible. Then there are others who say to stick with what the car was designed to use. But of course on this forum, most people are about mods. Has anyone actually had experience with these plugs or something similar?
I'm looking for actual experience with these or more insight on the concept rather than blatant claims of scams

Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
But of course on this forum, most people are about mods.
Actually I think you got that part wrong, most people on this forum are about factory setups and very slight mods

NGK are the recommended plugs

Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I did some research on that Google thing

Here you go

Pulstar pulse spark plugs review

same HP but low MPG - not for me

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Well there are two types I see. One provides more horsepower. Anyone have any ideas on that? That a more powerful spark would really make a difference?
I have NGK in my car and just put new ones in but I'm looking at these and with the guarantee I'm wondering if I should go ahead and test it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'd expect that a "more powerful" spark won't do anything for an otherwise-stock engine.

The mixture gets more difficult to ignite when it's more heavily compressed, so a boosted engine or some crazy-high compression ratio might benefit. But that's when you get to the point where the stock plugs will not reliably work any more.

Crazy special plugs sometimes work when there's actually some problem with your ignition system. Weak coil, leaky plug wires, stuff like that. But it seems to me that you're better off fixing what's broke first.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Whats funny is they say you should not use them with modified engines- for the high compression and similar things.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default They've worked for me.

I have a 2003 Accord V6 and have been running Pulstar BE-1, now the BE-1i for a few years now. I can't say it isn't placebo effect, but I have noticed a smoother idle and better acceleration. I've never put my car on a dyno, but I can say this for sure: My car is supposed to get 27mpg highway, I'm pretty sure. With new NGK's I think I averaged 27.5 going around 70mph back and forth from MD to MI. With the Pulstars I get 31.5 - 32mpg. Each of my 6 coils has died once since I've owned the car, but I can't say if it's the plugs or the 150k miles I've put on her. They all died within a couple months of each other, and years after starting to use Pulstars. The original Pulstars had copper electrodes that only lasted 50k miles. The new Iridiums are supposed to last the usual 100k as well as being a lot cheaper than the original $25/plug coppers.
As for the science behind the plugs, a faster flame front will make a difference. The same reason a faster burning powder will create a faster muzzle velocity in a rifle (see Barrett .416). Basically, a hotter spark will dump more UV radiation into the cylinder as well as energize the immediate fuel more thoroughly. I have read it also makes a more efficient spark (on a plasma physics level).
Anywho, I've had success with them and will continue to use them. I have a buddy with a Civic SI and a buddy with a Camry SE V6 who both use them and have had similar results.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 AM

I tried them and did different tests. I saw no difference. But the lady at customer service said her daughter had a v6 accord that they noticed a difference on. Based on your experience and hers Id assume that you notice more of a difference on a v6 than a 4 cyl. Any theories as to why that could be?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Variable results

Like I said in my previous post, A buddy with a Civic SI (I4) also noticed a difference. Not insulting your reading skills, just referencing. Pulstar's website posts really good increases for the S2000. I don't think it's the number of cylinders specifically, but rather, various results from engine to engine. If the ignition system is inefficient, Pulstars might get some of that back, or might just stress the coils. If the car's computer isn't programmed to adjust to different burn profiles, it may not make any difference. What tests did you run? Did you look for power differences as well as mpg, or just one? Did you give the car a couple weeks to adjust to the new plugs? I haven't been able to quantify any power differences, but have noticed better mpg.
I'm not sure if they still do this, but they used to take the plugs back within 30 days if unsatisfied.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Oh sorry. I missed that last part. I think its definitely the car. Higher performance cars then? Ones that the ECUs can adapt better. I kept track with an ultra-gauge seeing my MPGs. I cant afford a dyno test. So I used my ultra-gauge for different readings and my own feeling for my cars behavior. However, a variable was that I had been having issues on and off. I'm still trying to get this car working well.
But I had these things for several months actually. I switched back and forth. At first there was a difference in throttle response but that went away. It may have been placebo affect or the ECU adapting. I did end up returning them, they were very good about that. I put NGKs back in my car and it runs well. I think the F22s aren't really in need of the pulstars. They're not high performance or anything real special. I'm eventually gonna get a TSX. Once I do I will try the pulstars again. Like you said, engine to engine.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 10-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Pulse Plugs