Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Question about driving stickshift

Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Default Question about driving stickshift

So I was driving to Staples with my mom, We were in my brothers car, which is manual. When we exited off the freeway, I put it into neutral and just let it coast. She said I shouldn't do that cause it ruins the clutch, and I should always keep it in gear, and just downshift when slowing down.

Is this true? "coasting" ruins your clutch? cause I always do it in my accord, whether it's cause I'm going down a hill, or I'm about to slow down, I put it into neutral. I figured it saves gas since, but if it ruins my clutch I'll change my driving habits.

Thanks,
-Nate

Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: Question about driving stickshift

I'm a fan of putting it in neutral. Make sure you are actually in neutral, not just riding with the clutch in. There is a HUGE difference. If you are actually completely out of gear and have the clutch out, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you put it back in gear when slowing down, though, especially from highway speeds, or you will cause undue stress to your breaks...

Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ x2 .... holding the clutch wears the throw-out bearing. Neutral and no pedals in is fine. I usually do some light downshifting to slow the car down .... my tC has a feature that if you aren't touching the gas and the rpms are above 2000, it cuts off the injectors completely. IDK if Accords have it though .... it may be something that came with the fly-by-wire system.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Brings up another question along the same lines... at a light, do you sit in first with the clutch in or do you let it out and sit in neutral? I usually sit in first unless it's a reaaaaaally long light

Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Depends on the wait .... more than 10 seconds and I'm letting the clutch out in neutral. More of a lazy, I don't feel like holding it in while I sit here kinda thing.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah, at a light it depends on the wait, and the mood I'm in. I usually put it in first with the clutch in when I see the opposite light go yellow, though...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Administrator

I feel that its a bad habit that you should be careful doing if you must...

Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 AM

no if your not pressing the clutch and your gear is really on neutral then no it doesnt cause your clutch to be ruined... but if your pressing the while your still in gear so that you have that "neutral" state then it will wear your clutch...

Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Almost all cars these days will stop fuel flow if you leave it IN gear, and simply take your foot completely off the gas pedal. That includes the '89 Saab I used to have, & all EFI Hondas since probably early 90s. So shifting to neutral & coasting actually uses MORE gas.

My Saabaru (WRX) goes down to very little fuel (not zero) just to keep the pre-turbo cat hot. But thats a bit unusual.

I normally stay in gear & hold the clutch disengagedat red lights. Long stops (trains, etc) I use neutral or shut off the engine. I've been driving manual trannys since 1971 and this has never caused a problem.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 AM
85Accord
Unregistered

I always put it in neutral at red lights with the clutch let out. When I see the intersecting road's light go yellow, I drop it back into gear. The only exception being in some situations where you can't see the other light to tell if it's turning yellow. I very rarely down shift to slow down, even from freeway speeds. Sure it MIGHT save on your brakes a little, but I'd personally rather replace the brake pads 100 times over before doing the clutch once. And I honestly can't say I've ever noticed my brakes wearing excessviely. Just think of driving a car with an automatic, do you down shift it to slow down? Nobody I know does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about driving stickshift