Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   RPMs fluctuate when idling (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/rpms-fluctuate-when-idling-7574/)

jmeeter 02-13-2007 04:46 PM

RPMs fluctuate when idling

Hey everyone,

Today I just bought a 1994 Honda Accord fo $900. The thing is in excellent condition, with 137,952 miles on it. Brakes, engine, steering, etc work fine.

At a stop light, however, I put the car in park so I could reach in the backseat to grab something. I noticed that the RPMs starting jumping up and down from 900 to 2,200 RPMs. As soon as I put the car in drive, it stopped. I put it in neutral, it started. I put it in drive, it stopped.

I spoke to a "mechanic" at Wal*Mart when I was there grabbing floormats, and he said it sounded like the Mass Air Flow Sensor was out of wack. Does this sound accurate, and how much am I looking at to get it repaired?

Thank you,
Jordan Meeter

sir_nasty 02-13-2007 04:58 PM

RE: RPMs fluctuate when idling

it sounds like a "mechanic" that's used to working on old chevy's.... Get some carb cleaner and clean out the throttle body, IACV (intake air contorl valve) and possibly the EGR valve.... Also, since you stole that car at $900.00 make sure that basic maintenance has been done, plugs (NGK only), Wires, Cap, Rotor, TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, SEALS.... if the three bold items haven't been done then make it happen, those are VERY important to that motor... congrats on stealing a car! *L* Welcome to the forum

legionofone 02-13-2007 06:22 PM

could be many things... go to a independant shop and find the oldest fart there... ask him if he has a scope... if he does see if he will check ur sensors...

it could be a O2 sensor, TPS, MAF sensor... alot of things

sssexy70 02-13-2007 10:55 PM

My guess is that the car is still cold... once it warms up it won't do that...

poser_pilot6 02-13-2007 11:27 PM

That may be true, but it still isnt normal to rev like that, even when its cold. I would clean the IACV like sir nasty mentioned, see if that works. Is your check engine light on?

jmeeter 02-14-2007 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: sssexy70

My guess is that the car is still cold... once it warms up it won't do that...
Actually, it only does it once the car is warmed up! [8D]

deserthonda 02-14-2007 03:32 PM

chk for a vacc leak, chk to make sure that radiator is fiull of coolant, remove the top lid on the fast idle valve and screw in the inner valve, it has slots on the side use a screwdriver and turn it in

legionofone 02-14-2007 03:50 PM

i talked to my teacher... spray carb cleaner around ur throttle body while its running... if it smooths out u have a vacume leak... (dont spray to much carb cleaner because it is flameable) the teacher described a condition called hunting... spray the TB and see what happens...

JimBlake 02-14-2007 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: jmeeter

I spoke to a "mechanic" at Wal*Mart when I was there grabbing floormats, and he said it sounded like the Mass Air Flow Sensor was out of wack. Does this sound accurate, and how much am I looking at to get it repaired?
The best part of this thread is knowing that your car doesn't even have an air mass flow sensor.

Otherwise, the other guys have given good suggestions for you to check.