Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

RPMs fluctuate when idling

Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
jmeeter
Unregistered
Default RPMs fluctuate when idling

Hey everyone,

Today I just bought a 1994 Honda Accord fo $900. The thing is in excellent condition, with 137,952 miles on it. Brakes, engine, steering, etc work fine.

At a stop light, however, I put the car in park so I could reach in the backseat to grab something. I noticed that the RPMs starting jumping up and down from 900 to 2,200 RPMs. As soon as I put the car in drive, it stopped. I put it in neutral, it started. I put it in drive, it stopped.

I spoke to a "mechanic" at Wal*Mart when I was there grabbing floormats, and he said it sounded like the Mass Air Flow Sensor was out of wack. Does this sound accurate, and how much am I looking at to get it repaired?

Thank you,
Jordan Meeter

Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Default RE: RPMs fluctuate when idling

it sounds like a "mechanic" that's used to working on old chevy's.... Get some carb cleaner and clean out the throttle body, IACV (intake air contorl valve) and possibly the EGR valve.... Also, since you stole that car at $900.00 make sure that basic maintenance has been done, plugs (NGK only), Wires, Cap, Rotor, TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, SEALS.... if the three bold items haven't been done then make it happen, those are VERY important to that motor... congrats on stealing a car! *L* Welcome to the forum

Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM

could be many things... go to a independant shop and find the oldest fart there... ask him if he has a scope... if he does see if he will check ur sensors...

it could be a O2 sensor, TPS, MAF sensor... alot of things

Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 PM

My guess is that the car is still cold... once it warms up it won't do that...

Old 02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

That may be true, but it still isnt normal to rev like that, even when its cold. I would clean the IACV like sir nasty mentioned, see if that works. Is your check engine light on?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
jmeeter
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sssexy70

My guess is that the car is still cold... once it warms up it won't do that...
Actually, it only does it once the car is warmed up! [8D]

Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk for a vacc leak, chk to make sure that radiator is fiull of coolant, remove the top lid on the fast idle valve and screw in the inner valve, it has slots on the side use a screwdriver and turn it in

Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 PM

i talked to my teacher... spray carb cleaner around ur throttle body while its running... if it smooths out u have a vacume leak... (dont spray to much carb cleaner because it is flameable) the teacher described a condition called hunting... spray the TB and see what happens...

Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jmeeter

I spoke to a "mechanic" at Wal*Mart when I was there grabbing floormats, and he said it sounded like the Mass Air Flow Sensor was out of wack. Does this sound accurate, and how much am I looking at to get it repaired?
The best part of this thread is knowing that your car doesn't even have an air mass flow sensor.

Otherwise, the other guys have given good suggestions for you to check.