Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

seriously? the O2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default seriously? the O2 sensor?

got my check engine light on read at knects and the said it was the O2 sensor. my car only has 44k on it can this be? and how much to replace? i only have a powertrain warrenty and i assumed it was under that but the dude at the dealer said its part of the emissions. and it would cost 250 for the front one or if it was the back it would be 350.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: seriously? the O2 sensor?

Go back & have someone read the code again. Tell us the ACTUAL CODE NUMBER. That will say which sensor and we can give you some things to measure or check.

You can buy the sensor &change it yourself for way less money. But youhave to buy a tool &crawl under the car. Let us know what you want to do.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 AM

yeah just as Jim said..check it again..and post the actual number that you get

and yeah..you can do it yourself..its not really that hard...you will just need some tools...but even if you decide to buy the tool, it will still be way less from what you will pay at the dealer..

Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 AM

will do. tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

2005 LX can have 4-cyl or V-6 engine. Which do you have???

Unlike Fords 94 Accord, your sensor is tucked between the engine & firewall. You reach it from underneath the car...

Dont crawl underneath unless the car is properly supported on stands or ramps. Dont use the tire-changing jack. Blood makes such a mess on the underside of the car...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 PM

so get this. yesterday while at the dealer i got my oil changed and then i get in and drive and the light is off... so i go to knechts to check the code today they say they can't check it unless the engine light is on. so i go to the dealer to see wtf they did, i go in and they said its illegal for them to turn it off with out telling me. i said so it magical turn off? they said the only thing they reset was the mant light. but that wasn't even on. even though it had been 3500 miles since the last one. so point is can it magically start to work?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm?

If you actually fix the problem the CEL will quit after some number of driving cycles without having the problem. But I think it will STORE the code so knechts might be wrong about that. The whole point of storing the code is forthose nastyintermittent problems that never show up while the mechanic is watching.

For many codes the first part of the procedure is to clear the code, drive around,& see if it comes back. But Ive never been very happy with problems that go away by themselves. It usually means itll be back - someday...

Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 AM

yeah me too..i dont like those kind problems that goes away then comes back later..thats kinda wierd..ill just keep monitoring it and..maybe it was a loose o2 wire or somthing that they accidentally touched or somthing and that fixed it...but thats just my guess...but yeah..just keep monitoring your car..

Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 AM

the idiot at the dealer the service rep tried to tell me that the engine light might have come on instead of maint light...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: status

the idiot at the dealer the service rep tried to tell me that the engine light might have come on instead of maint light...
Ya mean like the car cant make up its mind? LOL!

If its a 4-cylinder, both oxygen sensors are underneath the car. Check the wires for broken insulation that may occasionally contact ground.

Primary is where the exhaust pipe comes down from the manifold, wire leading to the left side of the car. Secondary is further backin the cat, wire leading towards the right side of the car.

V-6 has FOUR oxygen sensors, before& after each of the preheat catalysts.

Quick Reply: seriously? the O2 sensor?