Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Shifting with an automatic....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Shifting with an automatic....

hey, this post was very helpful... thanxs guys...

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Way to resurrect a dead thread.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Contrary to popular belief, I find that my launch is significantly better when shifted. First gear on my car can fly, but when it's not in 1 it will shift out too soon. Also, engine braking adds control when done right. The biggest thing that you have to learn is where the car wants to shift in various conditions and how long it will take to initiate the shift. If you floor it in 1 and wait until you want the car to shift to click it into 2 then you are going to bounce the rev limiter. It needs about a third of a second.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM

dual clutch is where its at.
no torque converter.
you can use auto in the city.
manual when your having fun.
no user-operated clutch tho... not as fun.
granted... I hate howstuffworks as much as the next guy... but they did a decent job on this one: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Contrary to popular belief, I find that my launch is significantly better when shifted.
Opinion is always contrary to popular belief when it doesnt follow it. Which makes the comment rather pointless. Now, if you said Contrary to popular belief these dyno's show it helps, then that would be something, now wouldnt it.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Hey marbro, did you notice how my comment relates to the thread and yours doesn't?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM

actually it had to do with this thread moreso then you most recent comment, after all i was pointing out that you comment before was rather pointless because you were stating your opinion as fact as well as comparing an i4 auto (which is what this thread was originally based on) to a v6 auto which oddly enough are two different beasts

Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

dual clutch is where its at.
no torque converter.
you can use auto in the city.
manual when your having fun.
no user-operated clutch tho... not as fun.
granted... I hate howstuffworks as much as the next guy... but they did a decent job on this one: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm
i agree with the dual clutch thing. its an automatic with an actual clutch with two gears (one for odd gears and one for even gears). i know a friend with a jetta gli with tiptronic. he drives automatic most of the time but uses his tiptronic to have fun and his shifts are true shifts but are super smooth even more so than normal automatics. so basically its true manual shifting with no slutch and absolutely no kerking.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 AM

Marbro, the name of the thread is "Shifting with an automatic...." There is nothing about the engine in that topic. In addition, I know how to form a sentence and post to share my views on the topic.

Your recent posts serve no purpose other than to clog a good thread with annoying, childish comments.

I'm done talking to you. Don't expect a reply to your next rant.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 AM

gotcha, he was asking because he didnt care about the car he drove and he just felt the need to say what year engine type first thing..... thank you for your insight on what the original poster was trying to get the information for

Quick Reply: Shifting with an automatic....