Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Short Shifting!!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Default Short Shifting!!

Ok.. I bought a DC Sports Short Shift Adapter for my 94 Accord EX. Now I feel that it shortened it up a little.. But i hate how tall the shifter is... do they make a short shift rod for my car?? Some one was telling me that I could saw off the shift rod and it would feel the same. true??

Also, when I shift it feels hard to shift it into gear rather than just nice smooth shift. What could be the problem there?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Short Shifting!!

www.pspectuning.com

The only "real" short shifter.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM

PSPEC is the only option as BCK said. Or you can chop and thread the stock lever. From the DIY section: http://filtsai.com/accord/cut_shifter/index.php
finch13 actually did an improvement on that I linked there. the thread is floating around somewhere. if we can get the search function working here you could search for it.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

www.pspectuning.com

The only "real" short shifter.
Huh? Only my ***...Forbidden has been making one for years. http://forbiddenmotorsports.com

I have one on my car it's great. I think it's better than the pspec.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:14 AM

Yeah, my thread is around here somewhere. It's basically the same as the filtsai one except I removed the shifter and did it out side the car WITH cutting oil and I didn't step down the die sizes, that most likely will result in a crooked **** (like filtsais). I'm extremely happy with it and have no problems whatsoever.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: sofireguy

Also, when I shift it feels hard to shift it into gear rather than just nice smooth shift. What could be the problem there?
Try Googling 'Archimedes'. Any time you reduce the motionratio of a lever then you inescapably increase the force required for the lever to 'lever'.You can't get away from this, if you shorten the shift motion then you'll stiffen the action (and vice versa), whether this be by simply shortening the lever or by fitting a more sophisticated'short shifter' mechanism (which merely alters the leverage ratio by a means other than shortening the shift lever).

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnL

ORIGINAL: sofireguy

Try Googling 'Archimedes'. Any time you reduce the motionratio of a lever then you inescapably increase the force required for the lever to 'lever'.You can't get away from this, if you shorten the shift motion then you'll stiffen the action (and vice versa), whether this be by simply shortening the lever or by fitting a more sophisticated'short shifter' mechanism (which merely alters the leverage ratio by a means other than shortening the shift lever).
Mine wasnt too different at all with the Forbidden. There's two ways to solve the problem you speak of, which is of course, true. Make the lever heavier and/or make the **** heavier.

From Forbidden: "The Forbidden Motorsports true short shifter is the number one selling true short shifter for Preludes and Accords. Each unit is made to weigh as much as possible for the smoothest, most precise shift possible and to withstand even the most extreme racing conditions. Its rugged construction, with beefy tig welds and high quality HPC powdercoat are guaranteed to take anything you can throw at it! It is 3-way adjustable so you can choose the shift that is right for you. The lever height itself is .5' shorter than a stock Prelude lever."

The shifter is heavy, and the **** I have athough made from aluminum, is heavier than stock. A weighted, heavier **** would shift slightly better, but it wouldnt look nearly as nice.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the responses. I'm gonna look at the levers you listed and I will also look into the chopping. Thanks again

Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 AM

I put on an RSX know (aluminum) and it really gives a more solid and precise feel to the stock shifter assembly. Boo plastic! Since I'm cheap and don't need adjustability I'm going to suggest my way, but of course do what you want.

Caution for metal *****: Hot in the summer, ice cold in the winter.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Im gonna cut mine...[8D]... i know its an AT but it would look cool short...
LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short Shifting!!