Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Spark plugs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Spark plugs ?

ok a local shop where i live has a dyno and they say there is no real difference between coppers, platinums, and iridium...... i kinda question that statement but i would like to find everyone elses opinion
i ran bosch platinum +4's they were great for a while but my gas mileage turned to crap so i dropped ngk coppers back in and everything has improved i only ran the platinums for about 8000 miles

basically factual information on stock vs modified on each one if possible

Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Default RE: Spark plugs ?

only run ngk's in your car, the coppers yeild a certain hot spark, the ngk r's have hotter spark, the ngk iridium's have the best. youll notice better throttle response, and gas mileage. the better spark plugs actually last longer too. the regular ngk's i like to replace every 10k but the iridium's look good even after 20.

lightshow

Old 01-29-2006, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

only run ngk's in your car, the coppers yeild a certain hot spark, the ngk r's have hotter spark, the ngk iridium's have the best. youll notice better throttle response, and gas mileage. the better spark plugs actually last longer too. the regular ngk's i like to replace every 10k but the iridium's look good even after 20.

lightshow
Hey lightshow,
I just got myself a set of ngk iradium sparks. so i'll let you know tomorrow if they're better then the bosch.
*it was your influence for me to change the sparks. I did start noticing that i'm losing power and my gas milage dropped. so we'll see in a little bit if they do make a difference. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM

I might change to iridiums but when i took my bosch platinums all of them were scorched white at the ground electrodes....... i have never seen a single spark plug come out of any of my vehicles like that....

Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 PM
rilos99
Unregistered

the way i see it is unless you have alltered your fuel map or changed the combustion chamber stock plugs or ngks for most hondas is the best way to go.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM

After reading this post, Im gonna change to NGK IRIDIUM as soon as possible I will also let u guys know if I notice a difference. Right now I got NGK's Platinum, does anyone know the spark plug measurement for a 92 honda accord so I can order them, I know how to install them but last time my bro in law did that for me.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM

are you running 4cyl or v6? but either way it will be interesting to hear if there is a difference..... if there is i might say oh well to the 8 bucks i spent on my basic ngks lol

Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 AM

as long as they are ngk they are all good. you should notice a difference with iridiums though. i think you would seriously notice a difference with the ngk plugs and the wires. the iridium plugs should be ZFR5FIX-11 and should be gapped to 44 thousandths.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:13 AM

get a 5/8ths spark plug socket.. with the rubber insert
a 16mm deep well socket
long extension
socket wrench
anti sieze

make sure the car is cold/cooled down a little. pull the wire out, use the 16mm unscrew the plug until its completely out, put the 5/8ths on the extension and scoop up the plug. put a little anti sieze on the plug threads of the new plug and start it using the 5/8s then screw it in a few turns and then use the 16, you should be able to easily turn the extension with your hand/be careful not to strip the threads. once the plug is snug put the socket wrench on it and turn it 1/2 turn. plugs do not need to be very tight and the torque should be 13 ft/lbs

Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM

I believe the NGK irridiums come already gapped, they do for the 7th gen Hondas.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs ?