Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Spoon vtec controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Default Spoon vtec controller

Ok I have a 2k accord v6 can I just put the vtec controller on? Will it even work on my car even though i have a vtec? Is there anything I need it make sure it will work with down the road?

Any help will be appreciated

Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Spoon vtec controller

nobody knows..............well

Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 PM

I don't really know too much about vtec controllers, but if your car has vtec and the controller lists your car as far as cars that it is compatible with, you shouldn't have a problem with it. That should be the only thing you need minus some misc. electrical equipment (connectors, tape, etc.)

The controller is going to change the point of vtec engagement, so unless you have some serious mods, I wouldn't mess with the point too much. It would be great for a turbo application probably...

Old 07-07-2006, 03:00 AM

it is very useless with stock motor, no point of changin the vtec engagin pt when you wont be able to gain any hp from it...if you tuned it right, probably couple pony out, but it really a waste, i had one for 3 months than sold it away....

Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

changing the default setting is pointless on this motor..........you are better off putting the money elsewhere....

Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 AM

well the thing is when i went to look it up it had an accord but not mine so thats why i was wonding since my car is a vtec but not listed. but i wont buy till i turbo and see how much of a difference it can make.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:45 AM

If I were you I wouldn't buy anything that didn't list your car under compatible cars. Now if it said any Honda with vtec, blah blah, then sure I would go for it. But unless you know of some way to make it work for your application, I wouldn't take the risk.

Now if you can get a wiring schematic for it or something, you could see what connections need to be made and if it is something that is possible.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 PM

maybe this will help you understand why messing with vtec is pointless

1. The J30a uses what is called ecomony Vtec which for all purposes 3 stage vtec with the middle stage removed.

This causes the first stage to operate all the way up to 3500rpm and the second stage to operate from 3500 to redline.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

maybe this will help you understand why messing with vtec is pointless

1. The J30a uses what is called ecomony Vtec which for all purposes 3 stage vtec with the middle stage removed.

This causes the first stage to operate all the way up to 3500rpm and the second stage to operate from 3500 to redline.
Messing with vtec would be pointless on a stock or barely modified engine. However, when you bring a turbo into the equation, the vtec points can be changed (raised in this case) to promote better spooling characteristcs of the turbo.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:40 PM

*blinks* all accords and civics have and economy vtec and that means they have 2 small lobes until the vtec engagement point then it pushes the larger lobe which is usually a much longer duration and lift

Quick Reply: Spoon vtec controller