Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Strange engine or electrical problem? And an A/C question. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/strange-engine-electrical-problem-c-question-9371/)

ouchevelles 05-05-2007 03:29 AM

Strange engine or electrical problem? And an A/C question.

Newbie here looking for advice :)

I'm having a strange problem with my '94 Accord EX. Sometimes when I start my car, it will either crank and crank but not fire, or sputter to about 2-300 RPM for a second, then die. To fix this, all I need to do is let it sit for a while (5-10 minutes). I thought it was related to some stormy weather and moisture getting into something electrical, because it happened when it has stormed a lot (this also happened once on my 92 Accord). But today I was thinking it seems like maybe a fuel related problem I've had on my Chevelle, either filter or pump. However someone at a part store said there was something electrical in my dash, a relay that could cause these problems, although this would imply it was spark-related. Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone that could give me advice?

On a less important note, my A/C isn't working. The compressor isn't coming on. My dad does HVAC so he can figure his way around cars. We haven't tried the low pressure switch, but there is a little plug coming off of my compressor that is connected to nothing. There is only one red wire going from the compressor to this plug. We see no plug-in it could go to. Is this the problem or is it there for some other reason?

Thanks for any help!

00AccordLX5spd 05-05-2007 05:11 AM

RE: Strange engine or electrical problem? And an A/C question.

When you described the engine problem I initially thought "fuel filter or pump" because I had a similar situation with my '95 V6. Problem turned out to be the fuel filter. Since a new filter was only about $20, I felt I got off pretty lucky. Wait a minute....I thought '95 was the first yearHonda offered theV6 in the Accord? Anyway...I am definitely not an expert, butI just wanted to let you know how I fixed mine.The only difference is:mine would sputter and try to fire (RMP wouldstart going up and I thought it was going to crank)but never would crank at all, even if I let it sit for a while. So I could be dead wrong.
As far as the A/C goes, I am not too experienced. Try doing a search for anything to do with A/C on the forum. You may find a few diagnosis procedures.
If you search around, you will quickly figure out who knows their stuff about these cars....cough...deserthonda...cough. Just make sure you add your year, model, and engine size to your "signature" in your profile. That way everyone knows what you have so they can help you better.

ouchevelles 05-05-2007 05:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was having a strange problem with the search when I tried earlier, but it's working [for me] now. Also, I made a typo, it's just a 2.2L. Thanks again!

Chiovnidca 05-05-2007 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ouchevelles

Newbie here looking for advice :)

I'm having a strange problem with my '94 Accord EX. Sometimes when I start my car, it will either crank and crank but not fire, or sputter to about 2-300 RPM for a second, then die. To fix this, all I need to do is let it sit for a while (5-10 minutes).
Have you checked the main relay for cracked solder joints?

ORIGINAL: ouchevelles

there is a little plug coming off of my compressor that is connected to nothing.
So you found the problem?

YeuEmMaiMai 05-16-2007 01:05 AM

go to honda automotive parts online and look up your car's A/C diagram