Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

stroker kit and how it works.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Default stroker kit and how it works.

just wondering what is the purpouse of a stroker kit...?
im reading bout it but not gettin' it all...
thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: stroker kit and how it works.

Increases the displacement and tq of an engine. Thats the jist of it. Requires a larger crankshaft

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Different crank gives you larger stroke (stroker, get it?) which increases the displacement. Different pistons so they don't hit the head...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM

^ exactly as the two above said. Bigger crankshaft, different pistons, more displacement (converts a 2.2 to a 2.5), more torque, etc.. You will have to get the block bored though so it's not necessarily a DIY job.
They are a lot more common in AmericanV8's - a 347 Stroker is a Ford 302bored .030 over with a bigger crank anddifferent pistons - a383 Stroker is a Chevy 350 bored .030 over with a bigger crank & different pistons. There is a little more to it than that, but that is the short and simple version. Most of the times they change the cams, etc..

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Here's a honda version..

H22a4 block (normally a 95mm stroke)
F23 crank (97mm stroke)

Only works on certain years of H22's though. Stroke increase of 2mm.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM

So, is it expensive to do? Jon, Im not going to be able to do it by myself, right?
Where can I get the parts anyways?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM

I guess the only real expensive part would be the kit and the labor from the machine shop that bores the block. Kevin, with your car savvyness you could probably DIY everything except the boring I would imagine. I really don't know where you buy them though. I didn't think you could stoke an F23. I thought they only made them for H22's. I guess your only option would be as BCK said and use an h22a4 block with an f23 crank. Unless someone makes a kit that I am unaware of, or if you could somehow have it custom done - but that would take away the DIY aspect again.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM

You'd need a totally custom crank, rods, pistons, etc. Eagle and Crower are the only ones I know off that offer stroker kits for Hondas. It'll be totally custom and upwards of probably $3k just for the kit. Not something you'd DIY when assembling, I'd only trust a good engine shop to assemble and blue print it. Sometimes it requires notching of the block for clearance of the crank journals and rods.

There is a guy on Honda-Tech with an H22 swapped 4thgen accord. 2point6 is his screen name. Obviously, he drives a 2.6L H22.

I have the H22/F23 crank combo sitting in my garage with an H23 head. Only paid $200 for all of it so far. Someday I'll get it together.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 AM

so how bout on a f20b...
how will it help out there by putting a stroker kit..
(if it was made for it)
i know f20b is a 2.0 how will it help in da torque issue like a h22 stoc..

**woops...I hit "edit" again instead of "quote" - I guess it's too early in the morning. SorrySee below** - Jon

Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

You'd need a totally custom crank, rods, pistons, etc. Eagle and Crower are the only ones I know off that offer stroker kits for Hondas. It'll be totally custom and upwards of probably $3k just for the kit. Not something you'd DIY when assembling, I'd only trust a good engine shop to assemble and blue print it. Sometimes it requires notching of the block for clearance of the crank journals and rods.

There is a guy on Honda-Tech with an H22 swapped 4thgen accord. 2point6 is his screen name. Obviously, he drives a 2.6L H22.

I have the H22/F23 crank combo sitting in my garage with an H23 head. Only paid $200 for all of it so far. Someday I'll get it together.
It def sounds expensive and hard to do... so since there's no kit for F23, the if I decide to go for a G23, can i buy the kit for the H22?

P.S: Is that what u did???? (or are going to do)

Quick Reply: stroker kit and how it works.