Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing Belt Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
woo78f
Unregistered
Default Timing Belt Advice

Hey Everyone

I need some advice. I got my 94 accord coupe five years ago from my brother in law. The original title had 49000 miles. When I got it the new odometer said the car had around 18000 miles. Since driving it for 5 years the odometer now says around 54000 miles. My brother in law said he had the timing belt changed but doesn't remember exactly when. I'm assuming he had it changed at arround 18000 miles when I got the car from him cause I remember he had it at the shop getting all the fluids changed. I was considering getting the timing belt changed just to be on the safe side since the honda dealer near me is have a special for timing belt sevice. It would cost me 599.95 for just the timing belt, all the drive belts, and the water pump. It does not include the balancer belt or the seals. They told me it would cost an extra 230 just for the seals. I never got a chance to ask them about the cost of the balancer belt cause I got disgusted and and I told them I'd call them back. My question is whether or not the seals need to be changed. I would rather have a Honda dealer do this since I just moved to this area and I don't know any trustworthy mechanics to do this type of work. Anyone have any suggestions. Also I live in Northern Virginia near DC.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt Advice

$599.00 for the timing belt alone? is that parts and labor or just parts? that sounds a tad high to me.... unless they charge $75-$100 /hour, then you're at about $200.00 in parts and $400.00 in labor which is still high actually... get a second opinion that doesn't sound right at all.... or just do the work yourself!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM
woo78f
Unregistered

Its 599 for the parts and labor. But they will charge extra for the balancer belt and the seals. I only know the rpice of the seals and they want 230 and from what the service person told me that 230 is only for the seals they don't charge for labor. That is what got me. How can seals be 230.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:41 PM

I find it hard to believe that's the case.... call the local honda dealership and ask them for a quote on parts... here's an example of a timing belt kit for WAY less than that (not HONDA though... stick with honda parts if possible) That sounds obsurd....

http://www.autopartsauthority.com/pa...1&make_code=HO

Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
ziptie
Unregistered

Don't think just because it's a dealer, you will get good service. It does not matter what kind car you have, some dealers are good and some of them suck.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

run away from that place as ASAP 230 dollars to replace the seals and the balancer belt ?? what a RIP OFF

cam seal and balancewr shaft seal $ 6.40 each
bal shaft seal retainer $ 4-5
balancer belt $ 40-45
crank seal $ 7-9
they have to remove the bal belt to replace the timing belt

1/2 hr extra to replace both seals at the most and that's a tech taking a break to smoke a cigarette ......so depending on the hrly rate.. 1/2 of that ....

I have never heard it the a shop offer a t-belt price that does not include the balancer belt .. WOW ...

Old 09-27-2006, 09:46 PM

stuff like that about makes you sick doesn't it desert? I did computer repair for a LONG time, (well I still do technically...) and I used to see that crap all the time and just shake my head....

Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 PM

I just purchased my Accord and it has 210k miles. It sprung a leak after 4 days. I'm fixing the oil leak and figure I should do all the timing belt stuff at the same time, as long as I'm in there. What all should I replace? What kit shoul I get?
thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need :

timing belt
balancer belt
water pump
coolant
cam seal
balancer shaft seal
balancer shaft seal retainer
valve cover gasket
4 upper spark plug seals
crank seal
alternator belt
p/s belt

there might be a timing belt non-honda kit available ,( e-bay ) ,,,,,,,,if you want Honda parts you have to get them seperately

Personally, after replacement you do not have to do it again for 70-90k miles , 6-8 years ,, I would use nothing but factory honda parts ,,

Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

you need :

timing belt
balancer belt
water pump
coolant
cam seal
balancer shaft seal
balancer shaft seal retainer
valve cover gasket
4 upper spark plug seals
crank seal
alternator belt
p/s belt

there might be a timing belt non-honda kit available ,( e-bay ) ,,,,,,,,if you want Honda parts you have to get them seperately

Personally, after replacement you do not have to do it again for 70-90k miles , 6-8 years ,, I would use nothing but factory honda parts ,,
This is for a 93 EX Honda Accord

Parts that I have Collected so Far:

Beck/Arnley Water Pump BWC1312087
Napa 137* Temp Stat
Napa (Gates) P/S Belt
Napa (Gates) Alternator Belt
Napa Upper Radiator Hose
Napa Lower Radiator Hose
Napa (Gates) Timing Belt
Napa (Gates) Balancer Belt

I'm in the process of doing the samething, but using Napa parts.. Will I be ok? or should I return it and get the one from Honda? The reason I am doing this is the honda water pump went out. Plus is there any useful Timebelt/Waterpump write up?

Thanks
Anthony

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Advice