Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing belt &etc.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Default Timing belt &etc.

First post here on this website.......96 EX Vtec 119K, my daughter's car bought last year --"belt has been changed...." I found a Honda oil filter on the car called area Honda dealerships no record with VIN of it...found some mtc record at one. I will bite the bullet and get this done as she will be going away to college next fall. My question is is it better to use Honda timing belts than aftermarket...? I heard somewhere it is. I will also get the water pump and both belts down there and probably all drive belts chgd @ same time. Any strange things I should look for on htis model of car that is a common problem? It is an automatic. Am getting the A/C worked on today on this car, another $500 bucks...aren't kids great??? I am used to working on older American muscle cars, and my wife's car--not import--so I will not be tackling a timing belt chg on this...patience is shrinking as my age escalates. I bought the car for the dependablity I heard of and the fact that the younger gen. likes them and they are safe. I like the car too...wish I had something this nice when I was her age...

Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Timing belt &etc.

Definately go with OEM Parts for the T-Belt change.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM

If you've worked on cars before I don't think this would be hard for you at all. There is a splash sheild inside the fender well that removes to allow you access to everything... I've got a manual for a 94 and could possibly get the manual for your vehicle if you're interested in doing the belt swap yourself

Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I had that done to my Accord about 5 months ago. It'll cost you around $800. Good luck if you do it yourself though!

Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 AM

i did my timing belt on my 94 accord lx and it tooke about 6 hours. the only thing that i would recomend is getting this tool http://www.f22parts.com/item_cranktool.htm it would take you a lot less time. an you going to need a torque wrench that goes past 180 foot pounds. but what i did to is change the water pump, and all the tensioners while i did it to. so that i dont have to worry about something like that to go bad after i was all ready there. but i would go to the honda dealer ship to get all the parts.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your daughter has a great car. only use honda timing belts and other parts. its a very good idea to get it done if you not sure. because if that belt breaks, most likely the motor is going to be trashed. as far as problems........well the only part that really has a definate life span is the timing belt. ive got 255 k on my 91. but now the a/c you really should do yourself. if its the compressor......its located right under the alternator. if its the condensor......thats located up front right next to the radiator....and if its the evaporator.......thats located right under the glove box.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Well I shelled out some bucks and got A/c done..then bought timing belt, tensioner belt and W/pump in a kit for $120 from Bloomington Honda on e-bay....good deal there no tax & Honda parts. Took car to place near my house that works on fast..furious type cars and he did install for $300. He found out that the belts & w/pump had been chgd. (don't know when) but..whoever did it last left one bolt out to hold tensioner and put other bolt in backwards..said it was lucky that the VTEC has the tensioner belt as well as the timing belt. The tensioner belt kept less strain...also lucky my daughter drives pretty conservative.!! Put new bolts in for me. They had gates belts on last time, he told me since I bought the Honda parts he would warranty his work lifetime. I was impressed..He also has 320k on his old Honda. Told me her car was just getting "broke in" @ 120k. The guys that own the shop work on show cars and are gearheads so we had much in common.(other than the fact they are half my age!!!) Taking my old 69 Boss 302 Mustang down there to show them. Next on her car will be brakes, plugs, wires and cap, then I will feel ok to send her off to college this fall. I have already changed radiator, hoses, thermostat last November myself. Too many vehicles and not enough time to fix everything myself. Dad with 2 daughters and wife= car work all the time. Everybody freaks if they have to go without a vehicle for a day.... Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:59 PM

nice find on the shop... it's great when you can find a mechanic who does solid quality work and warranties it... that price sounds pretty good to for all the work

Old 04-29-2006, 08:08 AM

Elvis,

Sounds like you really made out on this deal. Wise move sticking with Honda parts too. You're being a good Papa and I'm sure your daughters appreciate it. I know what you mean about having a car that nice when we were youngsters. I was 20 years old and in the Navy for two years before I got my first car.

Uh, you HAVE shown those gals how to check & add oil, tire pressure, etc., right?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Yeah, she knows how..6 years ago she was my"son" i never had. Tomboy, Roush hat on backwards, etc. She was interested. Followed me to races and helped build engine or tranny. Then about 9th grade she turned in to a girl. Now she is "most beautiful...etc" scary as crap. Karma from my younger days being around all these women. My name is not "Earl". !! She still remembers how from her "younger" days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing belt &etc.