Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing Belt Job / HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt Job

Did the Job this evening. I am not too happy about it, I didn't finish it up just in case.
For some reason I thing the balance shaft belt is too loose, I am not sure how tight it should be.
Also when I torque the Screw A , theadjusting shaft tents to lift a little by the nut/washer on the tensioner.your picture above right where the arrow ends it nice and flat against the tensioner, my one lifts and it is not too even like that.
I keep thinking my adjusting shaft might be bent a little out of shape. [&:]

Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 AM

Even after its tensioner is installed, the balance belt is not really that tight. For that matter, neither is the timing belt. For both belts it really is the square"teeth" of both belts inside the teeth of all the pulleys that provides all the grip to turn things, rather than belt tension. More than anything else, the tensioners serve to keep the beltsadequately "wrapped" around the pulleys on either side of them so that the teeth can do their job.

It's possible that "A" or the adjusting nut's shaft are bent, but I doubt it. Here's something to check out that justmight bethe problem. As you well know, the timing belt tensioner has a small hole in the flat piece of metal that also has that more-visible slot on its opposite end. Something I distinctly remember when I did this job last summer was that it wasquite difficult to keep that small hole over the pinof the engine that it rotates on as I attempted to assemble the balance belt tensioner over it. While I was trying to keep the springs and everything else in place all at once,That holehopped offthe pin several times before I got everthing in place correctly. If that hole is not on the pin, the timing belt tensioner will not tension the timing belt properly and neither of those tensioners willbe oriented properly. Both will probably tilt a bitunder that lever that pivots on "A" and holds the balance tensioner in place (and the timing tensioner behind it), and likely that last washer will not sit nice and flat like it should.

So, before you assume anythingis bent,make absolutely sure that the timing tensioner isinstalled correctly behind the balance tensioner.I believe that after you properlyposition the timing tensioner, "B" can be tightened temporarily to hold itin positionuntil the balance tensioner is putin place. Then "B" should be loosened enough to allow the timing tensioner to swing freely until you make the final tension adjustment. Once everything is back together and you do the final tension adjustment, the adjusting nut will squeeze the two tensioners together and against the engine - essentially freezing them into their final operatingposition.

I hope this helps.

Again, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Excellent Point Tony, about the little hole and Pin, Thank you so much for taking your time responding to my inquiries, I really appreciated.
Yes, that was a time that Pin was out, I have a small flash light and I do Inspect it every time I am attempting to put everything together.
It is in place, My marks all check out 100% I am pretty happy about that J
But the only thing I don’t fell comfortable with is the Shaft on the balance belt tensioner that does not sit flat as I said your picture shows.
I will try to install with the old balance belt tensioner, maybe I got a wrong tensioner…
I will double check everything again and I will post the results.
Again thank you so much for you assistance

Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM

I Finally got it.
The problem was that the Balancing belt adjusting shaft picture A , was indeed slightly bent. I laid it flat on my Anvil, hit it few times with a hammer and wallah , magic happened, now it does lay flat against the tensioner.Problem resolved !

Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 PM

Great!

Do you have it back together and, if so, how does it run?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 AM

I have the Belts part all together , I did not yetfinished it all yet.I adjusted the valves, I will replace the oil Pan gasket and plugs etc.Today or tomorrow I will finish her up.
I will let you know how does it run as soon as it is all back up.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Yikes ! double post.
Moderator please delete.
Thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM

It's Alive ! It's Alive !
Put it back together, started right up, run like a champ except that when it idles sometimes the engine hick ups, I couldn't figure out why

Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Very good that it is running well except for that small problem. Did it hiccup occasionallybefore the work you did to it? Does it hiccup both when the engine is cold and also when it is hot?

Just a suggestion - are the rotor, cap and plug wires original to the car? If so, when you had to pull the wires off the plugs,you may have inadvertently damaged one of them.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Tony,
Everything is brand new, Rotor, Cap, wires, plugs.
I have replaced the fast idle valve and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket , also cleaned the EGR and replaced the gasket.
Frickin hick up continues
Only whenit is warm , idling [:@]

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Job / HELP !!