Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing Belt Walking.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Timing Belt Walking.

I have a 1993 Honda Accord that I've been doing a ton of DIY stuff to. My timing belt keeps walking to the cover and eating itself up as well as destroying the top cover. I believe this is due to me not having the timing belt cover nut and the timing belt tensioner locking nut. Can anybody think of any other possible causes for a timing belt to walk? I'd like to make sure this is the last time I have to go and pull off the belts. Thanks for the help in advanced guys.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

The larger-diameter balance-shaft-timing sprocket keeps the camshaft belt from walking outwards from the engine.

If that's lined up OK, then maybe the tensioner pulley isn't perfectly squared-up? That might cause the belt to walk outwards on the camshaft sprockets, even when the belt is properly lined up on the crankshaft?

Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can anybody else please elaborate? He sounds like he's asking more of of a question than providing an answer. More input please.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default Timing Belt Walking

In the first picture (of the crankshaft), #16 is the sprocket for the camshaft belt. It has a washer (#17) inboard and a larger sprocket (#15) outboard. Those 2 hold the camshaft belt in place. (The larger sprocket #15 is for the balance-shaft-belt).

Normally, that's enough to keep the camshaft-belt in place, but that requires all the other pulleys to be straight & square & not wobbling.

You mentioned not having the locking nut on the tensioner pulley. Without that nut, the tensioner pulley might be leaning a bit which would let the belt move one way or the other on the upper sprockets.

The locking nut you need is at the center of the tensioner pulleys. It also has a wide flange to hold the plastic cover. The tensioner bracket also has a place that looks like it needs a nut to hold the tensioner in place. That's only used during assembly. The actual tensioner holding bolt is #26 in the 2nd picture (timing belt).

Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Walking.-1993-crankshaft.gif   Timing Belt Walking.-1993-timing-belt.gif  
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The bolt I'm referring to is actually not numbered on either picture but it is suppose to go to #17 on picture 2 and it's suppose to go in that little guided tab. Is that absolutely needed or is just that guide nut that goes through the center of the lower timing belt cover needed?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If it came off,,it must go back on.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

That vertical slot on the tensioner pulley (#17 in the second picture) DOES NOT take a nut or bolt.

If you are adjusting anything related to the balance-shaft-belt, you can use that to hold the camshaft-belt tensioner in position while you do your work. Then remove it. The one tensioner nut (#26 outside the cover) is supposed to be the only one locking the tensioners in position.

Periodic adjustment of the tensioners is done without removing the covers. You loosen the tensioner nut & allow the springs to take up the slack. Then tighten the nut.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Timing Belt Walking.

Can anybody confirm this? If this is the case I can return the helicoil I bought because I have not opened it yet.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'll confirm without even re-reading the thread.

Jim has been around these for a long time. Also just at a quick read, there is a "temp" bolt used in the change which is to only hold the tensioner back as you change the belt. Once the new one is on, it is removed.

Got any good pic of what we are talking about?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not yet but I'll be posting one as soon as I get home. If you look at the 2nd page diagram it's #17 the tab with the guide in it is what I was wondering about as far as the bolt was concerned. So the nut that goes onto the bolt that the 2 tensioners are on just has to go all the way on and snug up against the 2 tensioners so they don't wabble. Right? If so. Is there a torque spec for it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt Walking.