Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Top-end questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Unregistered
Default Top-end questions

i know this sounds dumb... but what exactly do oversized valves and dual valve springs do??? and also... why buy an adjustable cam gear???

Old 03-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Top-end questions

The oversized valves just aid in the flow of exhaust or intake and can thus result in some better cooling and higher airflow, I've most commonly heard of this in turbo use... The adjustable cam gear... Here's what AEM Says on the issue

"AEM Tru-Time Adjustable Cam Gears are used by top racing teams across the country and are a must for engines that are milled, forced induction, high compression and/or utilizing aftermarket competition cams. Our gears enable users to match cam timing with their vehicle's tuning state by advancing or retarding the cam profile in one-degree increments via true laser-etched markings. Precision-cut gear teeth ensure no premature wearing of the belt surface and AEM's anodizing on the gear teeth is lab-test-proven to be the hardest anodizing process on the market."

Dual Valve Springs.... Ya got me... Unless it's used similar to a suspension setup where they are stacked so that one compresses under a lower load and allows the car to run well at lower RPM's then when needed it can open farther under higher RPM's... but that's just a wild guess.... I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this one either...

Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

So do oversized valves require porting???

Old 03-08-2006, 03:22 PM

Here's what skunk2 has to say on that issue *L*

"Oversize Valves are used to increase the Air Flow of the Cylinder Head, but require Machining Labor. Skunk2 Oversized Valves should not be used with standard size valve seats or with Skunk2 Stage II and III VTEC camshafts."

so yeah, it requires a re-grind on the valves... However, you can get aftermarket Valves that are the stock size just shaped differently to increase compression in the cylinders without machine work...

Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

stock valve springs have a problem with 'float' so like was said they dont close all the way. sometimes it gets bad enough that the valves hit the piston

Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 03-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

So then what would be required to upgrade a cam in my SOHC engine??? like this one

http://www.f22parts.com/item_F22cam.htm

if you have any other suggestions for a good cam for my engine... i am open for opinions

Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 AM

ORIGINAL: 91turboaccord

That can cause a valve to bend! Ouch![:@]
not only it can cause the valve to bend but also could patentially damage the piston.

Quick Reply: Top-end questions