Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission Flush on my 04 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
islandpassion
Unregistered
Default Transmission Flush on my 04 Accord EX

I took my car in to get checked b/c I'm at the 60K mark for an oil change and a brake flush. The mechanic recommended a transmission flush, said it was very dirty.I called the Honda dealer and he also recommended a transmission flush every 30K. i know youve had thread about this before, but should I hold off on the transmission flush for now? When should I have it done?

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Flush on my 04 Accord EX

Do not flush the transmission. Drain and refill it 3x whith some driving in between to flush out old fluid.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
islandpassion
Unregistered

Thanks finch! I'll take it somewhere else. You know how mechanics just love ripping us women off. I'm sure even if I tell him NOT to flush it that he'll do it anyway, this sucks lol. What will happen if I do nothing to it? How long can it go without damaging the transmission?

Old 05-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Power Flushes performed by shops like Midas or PepBoys damage Honda transmissions, along with many other car brands.I am actually surprised they still do the power flushes. I guess it is going to take a successful lawsuit from an angry customer to get them to see how stupid it is.
If you cannot DIY, you need to take your car to a Honda Certified shop or a Honda Dealer to change the transmission fluid - i would not trust any of those "do it all" shops like Midas or PepBoys.

There is no real answer to your question about how long the transmission will last without changing the fluid. I have been lazy and have been putting off changing the fluid in the 95 V6. It has never been changed since I have known my wife and I do not know if her father ever had it changed before we started dating. She has put over 60k on it since I have known her. The car has around 120k on it now. The transmission shifts perfectly fine.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

It may just be lazy terminology. The dealer may just use the word "flush" when he actually performs a drain/fill (or 3).

Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM

^ yeah I figured that was the case sometimes, but it didn't seem like the poster was referring to a dealership to me.

Haha dealers shouldn't use that terminology anymore! After seeing one too many "ruined transmission" claims, the words "transmission flush" are frightening to me!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: islandpassion

...I called the Honda dealer and he also recommended a transmission flush every 30K...
A dealer may disconnect one of the tranny-oil-cooler hoses & use that to flush. Basically, hook up a big tank of new fluid and let the tranny use it's own pumps to suck new fluid in.

Using a flushingmaching that has a pump of its own might be the bad thing.

I've always suspected another thing too... A non-Honda shop probably uses other solvents & junk when they flush a tranny. And they probably don't devote a separateflushing machine exclusively to genuine Honda ATF, so it gets flushed with Dexron.

Somewhere in here, I hope Chiovdnica puts in his 2 cents. He seems pretty well versed with auto-trannys.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 PM
islandpassion
Unregistered

Thank you guys so much for your input! I wish I would have found this site a long time ago lol...I will surely be a regular here

Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: islandpassion

Thank you guys so much for your input! I wish I would have found this site a long time ago lol...I will surely be a regular here
Welcome! Wander around the otherboards on here& read up.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Good post guys with good answers for that gal..Your both a asset to the forums..Thanks

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush on my 04 Accord EX