Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission / Power Steering / Valves / More

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM
hondaccordsl
Unregistered
Default Transmission / Power Steering / Valves / More

Transmission
There WAS a post on here about 4-5 years ago where I saw a response about a direct bolt on transmission for the F23A4 that is NOT the high revving H22 transmission. Somehow I can't find it anymore. I believe my motor is putting out decent power although not raced out it is being tied down by those long gears...for turbo it WAS perfect, but now I need a solution.

Does anyone know which car/motor it was off of? I can't remember too clearly because it was so long ago, but it was suppose to be a transmission that offered better acceleration while not too bad at highway speeds. I believe it was off an older model accord...but I could be wrong.

Anyone with good memory or knowledge?

Power Steering
I don't think there is anything left for me to bolt onto my motor so I've been thinking about removing the power steering. However, other than the obvious comfort issue...are there any real benefits to removing your p/s? drawbacks? Worth the trouble?

Valves
I am doing the valve adjustments on my own; however due to having a cam gear & pulley kit I have now have no idea where the "UP" position is. Is there a quicker way to figure it out without doing compression testing?

Lastly
Below is a list of ONLY performance parts that I have...I had sold my T3 turbo kit about 1-2 years ago and now I am just wondering if there is anything else to do with this all motor F23. Keep in mind...I'm done with turbo and I do not want any internal work done cause I'm waiting for the motor to naturally die so I can drop a H22. So far, considering what it has been through, the motor is still reliable as FUDGE @ 120k. Even my bike @ 65k...that motor is "bulletproof" just like they say. Honda achieves excellence in every way.

I/H/E w/ Test Pipe & o2 sim
Cam Sprocket +3
Pulley Kit
Plugs and Wires
Ground Kit & Stabilizer
Suspension/Rims/Tires

Any suggestions would be nice, but please keep in mind my preference. I think thats pretty much it for her, but perhaps I will get surprised by one of you.

Thanks for reading.
-James

Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Default RE: Transmission / Power Steering / Valves / More

Transmission: not a clue what older tranny would bolt on and give you a gear change unless one of the f22a's tranny would...

Power Steering: Better not to have it for racing situtations, without it you get a better road feel and less drag on your system (free-up horsepower) but you do get the aforementioned discomfort issues. Personally I prefer not having it but I'm to lazy to even consider removing it.

Valves: Pull the distributor cap, rotate the motor so the rotor points at the #1 plug position, that should be TDC

Lastly: Lightweight flywheel and A/C system removal are the only real bolt-ons that come to mind that you're missing. Otherwise you may get some benefit from doing some weight reduction via parts removal or carbon fiber stuff

Finally: Thanks for posting, thanks for joining, just be aware that we try to be "family friendly" so watch the profanity please.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
hondaccordsl
Unregistered

Wow...thanks for such a prompt response. You really answered my questions clearly and your response was well organized. Thanks again...it is well appreciated.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

H23 transmission

Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 AM

As for power steering, one of my fittings broke off and I was too cheap to fix it. Nevertheless, I hate power steering in any car I drive now. I just don't feel as in control, I guess. The only downside is that it is very difficult to turn the wheel at a dead stop. Otherwise, normal driving feels just like it does with power steering. One note though, if you have sticky tires/large wheels/tight suspension, bumps and dips in the road can grab the tire and jerk the wheel from you so you kind of have to be careful.

I have one question: are you removing the pump and the hoses or just the pump? How do you plan on plugging the hole in the steering rack/hoses?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
hondaccordsl
Unregistered

Oh yeah??

H23 transmission is different than the H22?

Are you sure it won't burn my motor at highway speeds (80mph)?

Typically, I hear that on highway speeds the prelude transmissions will have my rpm at less than 2,000 rpms below redline which is bad for the F23.

If the H23 transmission bolts right up and will not keep me revved up so high, then I want to thank you very very much.

Please confirm. Thanks.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
hondaccordsl
Unregistered

Hmm...Yes I have semi sticky tires on 18' rims.
From what you say...it is probably not a good idea for me since San Diego roads are so bumpy. Sounds like it could sprain my wrist or something one day.

If I were to remove my power steering, I was not planning to do it myself so I couldn't tell you how my mechanic would go about doing that. Sorry buddy...

However, if you guys are in the Southern California area...definitely check out the work my mechanic does. He is a very cool performance / turbo expert and is very understanding towards those of us who are low on funds.

ET Performance in Walnut, CA. Ask for Jim. Right next door to V-tec automotive. Tell him tall james referred ya. I drive all the way from San Diego just to get him to work on my car.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Drive around for a day or two with the power steering belt off if you want to get a feel for it. I like it way better than with power.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
CD7Kevin
Unregistered

How do you remove the belt though?