Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission / Power Steering / Valves / More

Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Default RE: Transmission / Power Steering / Valves / More

Transmission: not a clue what older tranny would bolt on and give you a gear change unless one of the f22a's tranny would...

Power Steering: Better not to have it for racing situtations, without it you get a better road feel and less drag on your system (free-up horsepower) but you do get the aforementioned discomfort issues. Personally I prefer not having it but I'm to lazy to even consider removing it.

Valves: Pull the distributor cap, rotate the motor so the rotor points at the #1 plug position, that should be TDC

Lastly: Lightweight flywheel and A/C system removal are the only real bolt-ons that come to mind that you're missing. Otherwise you may get some benefit from doing some weight reduction via parts removal or carbon fiber stuff

Finally: Thanks for posting, thanks for joining, just be aware that we try to be "family friendly" so watch the profanity please.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

H23 transmission

Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 AM

As for power steering, one of my fittings broke off and I was too cheap to fix it. Nevertheless, I hate power steering in any car I drive now. I just don't feel as in control, I guess. The only downside is that it is very difficult to turn the wheel at a dead stop. Otherwise, normal driving feels just like it does with power steering. One note though, if you have sticky tires/large wheels/tight suspension, bumps and dips in the road can grab the tire and jerk the wheel from you so you kind of have to be careful.

I have one question: are you removing the pump and the hoses or just the pump? How do you plan on plugging the hole in the steering rack/hoses?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Drive around for a day or two with the power steering belt off if you want to get a feel for it. I like it way better than with power.