Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Underdrive Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 PM
snoopydapimp
Unregistered
Default Underdrive Pulley

Now that I have started my own thread on this, I pulled the pulley off and hah hah, when the pulley came off, the clicking noise that I was hearing was the gears that broke and were rounding off the end of my crank were it bolts up. Anyway, the pulley backed off in Tucson and I torqued it on long enough to make just outside Palm Springs, CA. I got lucky, I was trailering my bug to my new house and pulled that off and drove it the rest of the way and put the accord on there. Long story short, I was lazy and didn't want to drive my bug and now I am buying a new motor, not bad though I got a JDM F23 in the LA area that I am going to pick up next weekend. Yea for stupidy$$$.
Here are the pics of the messed up stuff...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10409/435ED39A7486462A97EFF5E453DCE123.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10409/D2B9D734299145C4B408C0E87B8F72BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Default RE: Underdrive Pulley

if thats an underdrive pulley,what brand is it?? and was the defect in the pulley or in the crankshaft?

Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Looks like the stock pulley to me.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

Looks like the stock pulley to me.
to me too. wonder why the title says underdrive, taking views away from my underdrive thread. [sm=smiley19.gif]

ok im over it hah.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 AM
snoopydapimp
Unregistered

My bad, CRANK PULLEY; the teeth on the inside of the pulley ground down the spline on the crank so I can not put the pulley back on without swapping out cranks. After you add up the cost of a new crank, all the bearing, all the crap for redoing the timing it make sense; at least to me, to just buy a new motor.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

NO NO....

The crankshaft is NOT splined. Those splines inside the bore of the pulley are to hold a bit of oil so it comes off.

The square key is what holds the pulley from rotating. It looks like the keyway in the pulley is mangled, of course the key itself is mangled. But I can't tell fromthe picture whether the crank is damaged.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 AM

By the looks of it, I think the key damaged the pulley.

The key itselflooks damaged, too, but the end of the crank, and thekey-groove in it (at least at the very end of the crank) lookOK.

As JimBlake said, other than the groove for the key,where the pulley goes over the end of thecrank, the crank is smooth, not splined. Check it out:
Name:  crank.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  9.5 KB

Don't jump to any conclusions too quickly. All you mayneed is a new key and a new pulley.

Can you turn the crank so that the keyway in the crank is at about a 4 o'clock position? That way,you can moreeasily see if there's damage to key or the keyway in the crank. Maybe you can post another goodphoto of it in that new position, too.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
snoopydapimp
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

By the looks of it, I think the key damaged the pulley.

The key itselflooks damaged, too, but the end of the crank, and thekey-groove in it (at least at the very end of the crank) lookOK.

As JimBlake said, other than the groove for the key,where the pulley goes over the end of thecrank, the crank is smooth, not splined. Check it out:

Don't jump to any conclusions too quickly. All you mayneed is a new key and a new pulley.

Can you turn the crank so that the keyway in the crank is at about a 4 o'clock position? That way,you can moreeasily see if there's damage to key or the keyway in the crank. Maybe you can post another goodphoto of it in that new position, too.
Thanks for the help, you saved me a couple of dollars. I got the old woodrift key out and ordered a new one with the new crank pulley.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

It's Woodruff key, but it's really not. A real Woodruff key is rounded (made from the edge of a disk)and the keyway in the shaft has the same round contour.

Honda crank pulley uses a straight key. Similar, but not quite the same.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Funny... that's the first square key I've seen on a crankshaft.... I'm used to the older cars I worked on it was always the half moon or "woodruff" keys... I had an 89 Suzuki (little jeep looking truck) and someone had screwed it up and actually taken a chunk out of the keyway slot, so I took a welder, built up the material and re-shaped the slot, put the thing back together and sold the SOB.....

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley