Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Underdrive Pulley Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Default Underdrive Pulley Kits

I have a 2000 Accord 4cy, 5spd. I was thinking about getting an underdrive pulley kit, probably aem, but I was wondering if anyone else has one, and if they noticed a difference, I was hoping to get a little more power, and maybe a little better gas mileage. If anyone has one let me know what you thought of them and if it was worth it, also what are some good brands besides AEM??

Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Underdrive Pulley Kits

unorthodox racing makes some good pulley's as well... my friend put a crankshaft pulley on his focus and it helped... pay close attention to which kit you're getting there's the SS kit which has underdrive pulley's so your alternator won't put out as much juice as normal or you can just get lightweight ones that maintain the stock size but still give you gains due to the lower rotational mass...

Old 06-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

aem or unorthodox is good, but like sirnasty said, there are sets that the alternator pulley even though is much lighter then the stock, but it is also bigger, and depending on the alternator, it wont put out enough juice to charge your cars battery and fire the sparkplugs. The power steering pulley will always be fine, but its only a few oz's lighter. The underdrive pulley is going to give you the largest gain, but i havent heard too many people say much on them.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you live in a very hot climate, under driving the A/C is not a good idea.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 AM
depezhe
Unregistered

why is not a good idea?

Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Underdriving the A/C compressor will make your A/C warmer. Especially at idle and lower engine speeds.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:21 PM

if this is a daily driver get the OEM replacement set from Unorthodox, it will keep the same diameter of all your pulleys but they are all lightweight so you still get some power gains.... And yes they do help

Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

How much of a gain will you get with the lighter pulleys, OEM size? One or two? Also, speaking of alternators, anyone know where I could find a higher output alternator?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:37 PM

here's the alternator link

http://www.alternatorparts.com/

then for the pulleys go to http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/ and click on one of their products, then in the upper right hand corner select "information" then go to view dyno results, a scion tc with a stock size replacement lightweight pulley gained 4.9HP, an accord V6 with under drive system gained 20HP, if you under drive your pulleys they claim you can run a stereo up to 600 Watts (RMS) without a problem.... (most amp/reciever combos go over that) so hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

My stereo isnt too huge yet, its just one amp, 360 watts, plus whatever the deck puts out to the speakers. But of course it isnt enough, so Im going to upgrade it when I can afford to. I just dont want to underdrive it if its going to cause issues with my alternator.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley Kits