Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Upgrading Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Default Upgrading Transmission

I've got an auto trans on my 97 Accord (which I believe is the H4A), I'm wondering if I can upgrade it before I turbo it. I'm planning on getting a cam gear and turbo rated camshaft (bisimoto), but I'm wondering how the auto trans will hold up and if I can't go above 10 psi (I won't push more than that) on the auto then what my other options are. I'm kinda bent on keeping the auto because I've been informed by many people that an auto is better than a stick as far as speed because the turbo doesn't take as much time to spool between shifts, but from a reliability stand point its no good.
________
Live sex

Last edited by Texas4Banger09; 09-09-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You can get a transmission built by Dr. Evil or other various race transmission shops that can easily hold that amount of hp.

Otherwise, install the biggest transmission cooler that will fit/add the recommended extra amount of Honda ATF the cooler recommends and hope for the best.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
You can get a transmission built by Dr. Evil or other various race transmission shops that can easily hold that amount of hp.

Otherwise, install the biggest transmission cooler that will fit/add the recommended extra amount of Honda ATF the cooler recommends and hope for the best.
thanks man. what happened to the pics of the car? you have the exact same car as mine (well when it was stock anyways). Everyone says you have a clean body kit on it just interested.
________
Prilosec lawsuit info

Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM

and if I get this transmission it should work before I turbo my car too right? Its not a turbo grade only transmission? I would think logically if it is made to be more durable and work with much higher hp it could work just as well with mine (don't care about efficiency just don't want it to break w/ my current set up before I put my turbo on).
________
Live Sex

Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Texas4Banger09
thanks man. what happened to the pics of the car? you have the exact same car as mine (well when it was stock anyways). Everyone says you have a clean body kit on it just interested.
No problem! Who all has been saying I have a clean body kit? I haven't been on here for awhile!

Here ya go!

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  3-1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  6-1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  102.0 KB

I havent had a chance to get some pics of the car w/ everything back installed/lined up properly. Once I get some finds and can find some TYC tail lights i'll be putting those on.

Originally Posted by Texas4Banger09
and if I get this transmission it should work before I turbo my car too right? Its not a turbo grade only transmission? I would think logically if it is made to be more durable and work with much higher hp it could work just as well with mine (don't care about efficiency just don't want it to break w/ my current set up before I put my turbo on).
I am not the most knowledgeable in this area, but to my understanding they will mainly beef up the internals to handle the extra power/force. This shouldn't affect any driveabilty. Again, ask the company beforehand to make sure.