Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

VSS Location 1997 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:52 PM
tampabayshore
Unregistered
Default VSS Location 1997 Honda Accord EX

Hi,

I have a 1997 Honda Accord EX (4cly) with 135k miles.

From reading other posts, I belive my VSS has failed or is failing.

When I start out, the speedometer remains at 0mph and the the Cruise does not work. Also, my check engine light is illumiated, but I don't which code.

After riding for 15 minutes or so, the speedometer comes back to life and the cruise control than works again.

Does anyone know where the VSS is on my model?
Also, I read about a potential fuse problem?

thanks again,
Brian

Old 06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Samuko
Unregistered
Default RE: VSS Location 1997 Honda Accord EX

The 97 Honda Accord vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is located 6-8 inches below the thermostat and to the left . As you look at the engine from the passenger side of the car. It helps to remove the air intake hose that runs from the air filter beside the battery back to the intake manifold. You should be able to view the VSS from the opening the yellow arrow is pointing to in the picture (below and to the right of the thermostat - use a flashlight its 6-8 inches below and behind where the radiator hose connects to the engine.), or if you really get in the engine compartment beside the firewall and look down and a little to the right you can see part of it a foot below where the air intake hose was removedand and about 6 inches in toward the engine.

It is changed from under the hood. Not easy to get at, but I was able to change it by using a 3/8 inch 10mm socket, 10 inch extension (two five inch extensions coupled), and a 3/8 inch universal. I only had to remove the air intake hose to gain access. The green arrow shows the thermostat. The red and yellow arrows show the openings that I was able to get a ratchet into to reach the VSS.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

great info Samuko! welcome to the forum!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM
tercelwagon
Unregistered

Many many thanks, Samuko. This is EXACTLY what I needed to know!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome new guys!!! How about some intro threads?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM
tercelwagon
Unregistered

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a wagon kind of guy in Houston. I had to give up my beloved '86 Tercel Wagon after 19 years of satisfying ownership. She was wearing out quickly and parts were getting too scarce and expensive.

So now I've got a '97 Accord EX wagon that I found for sale at a local gas station with 105k on it. It has served me flawlessly for about 2 years and is now at 132k. The VSS died yesterday. I like to do light to moderate repairs myself and I came across this site while scouring around for info. The new part is on its way and, armed with Samuko's how-to, I'll get the job done next weekend.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM
tercelwagon
Unregistered

Hereis my contribution to this topic:

The VSS unit on 1995-1997 Accords is covered under the 14 year/150,000 mile emissions extended warranty that is part of a court settlement agreed to by Honda. I verified this with Honda service. Additionally, when the mileage is between 75,000 and 150,000 you are entitled to one free tune-up and oil change at Honda under the agreement. The tune up includes new plugs, wires and distributor cap. Plenty of information can be found by doing an internet search, but here is a link to an EPA document in case you need to convince a Honda dealer:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/fr33394.htm

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
tercelwagon
Unregistered

I decided to do the job myself since I had already had the part shipped to me.

This is for a 1997 Accord with a 4-cylinder VTEC engine and automatic transmission. It is probably valid for 1995-1997 and other engine sizes.

Access: Thevehicle speed sensor (VSS)is exactly where Samuko describes it to be. I found it very inconvenient to get to the VSS. In addition to removing the air intake assembly, I also pulled the lower radiator hose, thermostat coverand one of the heater hoses. There were still several wiring harnesses in the way.

Tools: 10 mm socket and 3/8" ratchet. As Samuko said, you definitely need at least 10" of extension bars for the ratchet and a universal adapter is a MUST. I also needed a long rod and a ball peen hammer to tap the part free before I could remove it. Long needle noses to get the drive pin out. You also need pliers and screwdrivers to deal with clamps and connectors to move stuff out of the way and a flashlight or droplight.

Warning: The new VSS I purchased came with a new drive pin. That pin was longer than the original and the VSS would notseat properly with the new drive pin in place. I trimmed it to the correct length but, on inspection, the original one looked to be of better quality and was not worn, so I reused it.

Time: My job included a coolant change with thermostat and radiator hose replacement. The entire job took me about six hours -that includes maybe an hour ofextra timebecause I had to pull a fan to access a hose clamp.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM

I am trying to find this myself..where is the pic?
Originally Posted by Samuko
The 97 Honda Accord vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is located 6-8 inches below the thermostat and to the left . As you look at the engine from the passenger side of the car. It helps to remove the air intake hose that runs from the air filter beside the battery back to the intake manifold. You should be able to view the VSS from the opening the yellow arrow is pointing to in the picture (below and to the right of the thermostat - use a flashlight its 6-8 inches below and behind where the radiator hose connects to the engine.), or if you really get in the engine compartment beside the firewall and look down and a little to the right you can see part of it a foot below where the air intake hose was removedand and about 6 inches in toward the engine.

It is changed from under the hood. Not easy to get at, but I was able to change it by using a 3/8 inch 10mm socket, 10 inch extension (two five inch extensions coupled), and a 3/8 inch universal. I only had to remove the air intake hose to gain access. The green arrow shows the thermostat. The red and yellow arrows show the openings that I was able to get a ratchet into to reach the VSS.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is/never was a pic to my knowledge, only a good description of where it's located. Check youtube videos "honda vss replacement". One I checked was V6 but similarly placed to IL4.

good luck

Quick Reply: VSS Location 1997 Honda Accord EX