Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

VTECH controllers ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Default RE: VTECH controllers ???

so does this mean ill be able to engage vtec starting from 2k rpm .... that would be sweet... although ive seen a video on youtube, someone put a light to check when vtec engages and it would start way before 5k...

not sure if it was because of our SOHC... i guess when i have some extra funds ill give it a try anyways lol... my future mod lists are as follows...

1. 98-00 bumper so i can fit the Type R lip that i want (Type R lip wont fit my 01 bumper... sad)
2. M3 Lip spoiler
3.NGK Wires
4.OBX cat
5. Apexi NOIR cat back
6.Pulley Kit (most likely AEM)
7.Short Shift Kit
8.Drilled Rotors
9. HID conversion Kit
10. T3 Stage 3 Turbo Kit

i give myself till the end of the year to have gotten all these.. God willing

Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 PM

How much horsepower and torque do you have after dynoing it?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

VTEC already engages anywhere from 2300 to 3800 RPM. The 5300 RPM engagement is an incorrectmyth. It would be pointless for it to engage that high as most driversrarely everreach 5300 rpm. You will not "feel" it engage in an SOHC car like ours either.
I wouldn't waste my money on a vtec controller unless I was DOHC.
Click on this: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...mp;postcount=2
The guy who made that post and thosevideos does not have a VTEC controller. he merely installed an indicator light showing when vtec kicks in by tapping into the vtec wire in the ECU.
so your sayig in Sohc vtec motors like ours the vtec can engage at very early rpm range, But with Dohc motors there is a set point. For dohc motors ive seen many reviews all of them point to a vtec engagement point. Honda civic si, interga type r.
also another question, since the v6 motors honda makes use sohc design, would the vtec also enage that early as well?
Also why set vtec that low in rpm range, Wouldnt there be a loss in torque,
or is the vtec cam lobe not very agressive and we wouldnt really feel it. I mean be difference in agrssive cam lobes betrween h22a and a f23.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

2k is too low. It will cause the engine to bog down similar to flooring it when cold. I use 3200 and I've had it as low as 3000. Below that I've seen problems. My dyno was about 180HP at the wheels 3 years ago, but the printer was broken when I had it done and I didn't think to bring a floppy disk with me.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
vtectuner95
Unregistered

if you get the VTEC controller just make sure you dont set the VTEC to engage too low. I've heard horror stories of having serious oil issues. I know alot of people are against the idea of playing with the VTEC, but most of the unites are also air/fuel controllers, which you may be interested in.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: MrGmo

so does this mean ill be able to engage vtec starting from 2k rpm .... that would be sweet... although ive seen a video on youtube, someone put a light to check when vtec engages and it would start way before 5k...

not sure if it was because of our SOHC... i guess when i have some extra funds ill give it a try anyways lol... my future mod lists are as follows...

1. 98-00 bumper so i can fit the Type R lip that i want (Type R lip wont fit my 01 bumper... sad)
2. M3 Lip spoiler
3.NGK Wires
4.OBX cat
5. Apexi NOIR cat back
6.Pulley Kit (most likely AEM)
7.Short Shift Kit
8.Drilled Rotors
9. HID conversion Kit
10. T3 Stage 3 Turbo Kit

i give myself till the end of the year to have gotten all these.. God willing
Have u done this already?