Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

What to do next!?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Default What to do next!?

Hi guys, I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX with 173,XXX miles on it. Automatic transmission. 4Cyl, 2.2L.

Anyways, cutting straight to the chase here. Since buying the car I have been obsessed with beefing up the engine with small performance mods. I don't have the money for Nos, Turbo, or a Supercharger. So those are out of the question. I'm looking for things I can do to help increase the acceleration/power/fuel efficiency. Those 3 things I am interested in Increasing by any means necessary. Whether that means 2$ mods all the way to 100$ mods. So my question is, are there any things I should go in and clean out, modify, or replace that can grant me the 3 things mentioned above: Acceleration increase, Power increase, or Fuel efficiency increase. I also enjoy doing standard maintenance, such as cleaning the ERG, Transmission flush/refill, coolant flush/refill, Etc. So respond back with those types of things that I can do too. Thanks guys!

These are the things I've done as of now:
-New PCV Valve
-Cold Air Intake
-New Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs (4)
-Radiator Coolant Flush/Refill
-Transmission Drain/Refill
-New Distributor Cap and Rotor
-Intake Manifold Seafoamed
-Fuel Injector Cleaner
-Octane Booster
-Oil and Filter Change
-New Rain X Wipers
-Cleaned out the IACV
-Cleaned Carbon Deposit's out of ECG Port

Last edited by poynterandy; 07-04-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM

If you gain hp then you will also gain acceleration in most cases, but not much more MPG unless you could add more gear to it. The list of maintenance work recently done to the car looks good, i don't know how the car was treated before but 170k+ is still some miles, you can only do so much to bring back some lost HP and MPG but might not gain much over compare to as when the car was new. Since you already added a CAI might as well getting an exhaust for it.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Supper Moderator

Everything sounds pretty good towards what you want to do but Ditch your Bosch spark plugs. Honda don't like them...USe ONLY NGK plugs in your honda. Honda dizzys and Bosch plugs don't mix to well...they tend to foul out. It has to do with the design of Bosch plugs I would have to go find the thread about it if you must know the reasons. Also no need really for the octane booster. F series engine have low compression from the factory so 87octan is the bang for your buck. Using 89-93octan is a pure waste of money with our low compression engines. Does not improve performance by any means. You only need higher octane for high compression engines to eliminate pre-detonation (pinging)

You also could get yourself a exhaust and a simple street tune to take advantage of better gas millage and the added
power from your mods you have/will install. Hope this helps