Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

What are some reliable brake rotor brands?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default What are some reliable brake rotor brands?

I keep seeing EBC everywhere. I occasionally hear of and see Power Slot and Brembo. This is the first time buying brake rotors, so I need some assistance.

Now, I've read what small amount of reviews that I could find, and like every product there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. Some say one thing, and others say another. And since we're all dealing with Hondas here, I thought it best to get advice from some of you.

Are EBC brakes any good?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard both sides about EBC. Generally it's quality stuff, but they also make some stuff that's intended for track. Someone who doesn't race & buys track pads will be in for an awful surprise when he learns they don't work until they get hot... SURPRISE!
Then they write a bad review...

Do you race? Autocross? Rotors that are slotted or drilled or dimpled are really just worthless unless they get so hot (on a road course) that the pads are outgassing.

Over the years I've bought LOTS of sets of Brembo plain rotors. Never had a problem with them.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Same here about the Brembo Brand..never has a problem.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Nope, I don't race.

Thanks. So avoid slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors. And I can expect good things from Brembo.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So ventilated brake rotors then? I found Brembo vented rotors that fit. $40 each.

Also, it says "Front Ventilated Brake Rotors." Does that mean with use only on the front? I know a lot of cars typically use rotors on the front and drums in the back, but mine has rotors in the front and back. Will these not fit the rear?

I know most of the weight is shifted to the front when the brakes are applied, so that could cause a difference.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Ever have your wheels off? Your stock factory front rotors will be vented. That's the holes in the outer perimeter of the rotor, so a Brembo stock rotor will match your factory rotors. With the vents.

Slots, holes, grooves, dimples, etc... All that stuff is visible on the braking surface of the rotor. It interrupts the smooth surface where the pads clamp, to allow gas coming from a really hot pad to get out.

Your rear brake rotors are almost certainly solid. Not vented. Brembo makes "stock" rotors to match all the zillion of different sizes & shapes for different cars. Some vented some solid. I've NEVER seen ANY car that takes literally identical rotors in front & rear. Even where the rear rotors are vented, they're never the same size.

Since TireRack is a sponsor, I can link this... Check out there's separate part # listed for front vs. rear.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ategory=Rotors
You'll see pictures showing slotted & drilled rotors.

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-15-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Awesome. Thanks.

I just read n article explaining that the vents on the front discs are there to disperse the heat generated. And I was right before, they're vented because there's more weight on the front when you apply the breaks. Lucky guess.

I assume vented rear discs are only used on heavier vehicles that generate high amounts of heat even in the back where the least amount of weight is?

Anyways, thanks for the info. Between what you've told me and what I've read from other articles I have enough information to buy and change both front and rear rotors.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM

on a lamborghini murcielago the front and back are both 13.8 inches/ 38mm (not sure about thickness) with 4 caliper pistons. as you probably know, this acar hasd about 60% of its weight in the back. so the rears do almost as much raking as the front.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I'll just have to run right out to my Lambo dealer & buy me one of those.

Seriously, I guess what I should have said is I've never seen a Murc up close enough where I could measure the rotors.

I'm sure lots of larger cars (Benz E-class, S-class, BMW 7) have vented rotors in the back. Corvettes too. Most likely they're still not the same size as the front.

Actually, I've seen a couple Lambos on the road, so that ruins it for me. I think I'll buy a McLaren F-1 instead.

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-15-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM

i agree, the imagination of this "all powerful" supercar is always better than the actual experience. except for the sound of a gallardo, thats epic. But yes Ive been lucky enough to be able to be that close to a lambo. very nice stuff, still badly built tho. I'd stick with a ferrari haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are some reliable brake rotor brands?