Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Whats the best gas..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Whats the best gas..

My car is gonna be turbo so im using premium, but still if you wanna know more about octane rating and how it affects your vehicle check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

This is what everyone needs to know, then you'll chose the wright one for you...
Hoped it helps!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Dj Insanity

hmmm wats the hate for citgo for??? neone like citgo or am i alone lol? i use it! 87octane in my v6 03 coupe
You don't know about this jerk?

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/0B63C39F0BDB4ED28694047C4BE4B124.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 PM

top tier says that they make denatured ethanol (i am not a science/chem major so i have no clue what that means). but, buy anything that doesn't have ethanol if you can. i know a lot of states these days go with 10% ethanol in every grade.

i would choose shell over bp any day if i had a shell out here. i fill up with bp. citgo is bad gas. shell has a good reputation as well!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM

I noted that Honda 2005 V6 Owners Manual specifies minimum 86 octane.
You can be sure that the advertised 240hp is with premium gasoline.
I read of the octane issue in a Toyota Avalon forum.
Travelling salesman logging lots of miles, in his opinion, got the best compromise price, performance and MPG with mid grade gasoline.
I'll check that out in July.

On ethanol:
It's E85.
15 percent ethanol and 85 percent gasoline.
Takes 1.4 gallons of E85 to equal the MPG of one gallon of gasoline.
Haven't heard of the issues in detail.
Ethanol isn't denatured alcohol.
It's the same stuff as in beverage alcohol.
The stuff you drink and from the food products you eat, but additives to make it a deadly poision.
A tax issue.

Gasoline is gasoline.
Uniform standard.
The rest is head problems.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well, if u can afford the premium, go for it, if it's to expensive, then try regular. or mix both, like one time each. premium is more expensive for a reason, and that reason is that it has better and more additives to help ur engine run better.
But if 87oc is ok w/ some cars then go 4 it!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord

well, if u can afford the premium, go for it, if it's to expensive, then try regular. or mix both, like one time each. premium is more expensive for a reason, and that reason is that it has better and more additives to help ur engine run better.
But if 87oc is ok w/ some cars then go 4 it!
no, wrong. you obviously didnt read what i said before. which is it's only for compression. it does not have more additives. it's more expensive because it as more octane, which means it has a higher threshhold for ignition. which is why if your car doesnt call for it, can actually make it run worse. and if it does call for it, and you dont use it, will make it knock and overall run like crap. here's some references among many:

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...30112009990001
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline3.htm

Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 PM

These engines have knock sensors which allow timing advance to compensate for octane difference.
Whether mid or premium is worth the cost for daily drives is another issue.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

The Accords that call for regular gas don't generally have knock sensors. Only the cars that call for higher octane, like my GSR.

As far as I know, even with a knock sensor;they won't advance the timing beyond the programmed map. Knock sensor will only retard the spark if needed, but won't advance it to take advantage of higher octane beyond what's called for.

It's not as simple as just hunting for incipient knock & trying to advance as far as possible.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 PM
bauerljiv
Unregistered

OK let me try and settle this. Some people on here seem to be misinformed about this gas from 87,89,91 or higher octane. The higher the octane the more power you get out of your engine. This is made possible by the simple formula of the more spark thebetter thecompression and then better fire on top of the piston which results in better fuel burn in the cylinder and power being transfered to your crank which is more power to your wheels. Thats why your racing cars use higher octane vice the 87 octane. I have tried 87 and 93 octane in my 06 accord anddrove the same length and time in both with the same situation on both tries. I found out that 93 octane gives me better gas mileage and better performance from the engine. I was getting 3 to 4 mpg betterfrom 93 octane then from 87. And the pedal response was noticeable too. Plus higher octane gas does not leave as much carbon on your valves and cylinders as the lower octane formulas. But do not take my word on it. I have only been a mechanic for 14 years now and have work on my different types of engines fromGeo Metrosto Porsche's.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 PM

you are wrong, please read:

"Compression is directly related to power, so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power"

"It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings explode less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion). However, premium grades of petrol often contain more energy per litre due to the composition of the fuel as well as increased octane."

"The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel, and this bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal or even imaginary."

as for your race cars:

"Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus need a high quality (high energy) fuel usually associated with high octane numbers and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline."

for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Quick Reply: Whats the best gas..