Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

where to buy a good reman head

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Default where to buy a good reman head

I am looking for a good, reliable vendor for a remanufactured cylinder head for my 94 Accord. I was hoping I just needed a new head gasket but the gasket looks good. I bought the car from a mechanic and don't know what all was done. According to the mechanic that is now working on it he finds the head gasket is good but figures the head must have a crack. He suggests just getting another head instead of the extra expense of testing the head only to find I need another. He feels the cylinders are good and is fairly sure the head is the problem. He said it looks like it was a recently replaced remanufactored head and was maybe defective when it was put on. So I am looking for a reliable outfit that I can trust. Any one have experience with a good site?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

This belongs in Engine/Internal, so I'll move it there.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Supper Moderator

I’m assuming 4cyl since you did not say otherwise.
I would go to the pick n pull or junk yard and get you a head for your car. Then rebuild it. It will be cheaper and you will know for a FACT that all the parts going into the head are new and good.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM

It is a 4 cylinder. I don't have the time to hunt for a head, clean it, test it and rebuild to save a $100 bucks. I just need to get it on the road quickly. By the way, in your signature you state to take time to search before you post. I did that and found nothing.

So you are saying there are no reliable reman head suppliers?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Still no one has any recommendations of where to find a cylinder head?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Supper Moderator

I don't know many ppl who want to buy something they rather build it.

Just go to a pick and pull and snag a head and swap it. Cost under 100bucks. I know you can go to advanced auto parts and buy and head. but it's not a honda head it's a aftermarket company and copies the head. But the cost is like $600

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

"I don't know many ppl who want to buy something they rather build it". Two things here that aren't being understood, first time. Like I previously said I don't have the time to P&P and rebuild. So I am looking for a head that has been rebuilt that I can take out of the shipping box and install. Secondly, money. There are many, many sites that offer rebuild or remanufactured heads for less then $400. These are basically Honda heads that have been cleaned, tested and rebuilt with new parts. But I understand, all are not reliable. I'm just asking for some opinions or experiences from anyone who has bought from these sites?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Supper Moderator

No I understand you don't have the time to do a rebuild....so like I said. Just go to the pick n pull and snag a head. It will take you a hr maybe 2hr's tops if you don't know what your doing. Iv done so many pick n pull swaps for my friends and a few for my accord. Just inspect the head pretty good after you take it off to make sure it's no cracked or valves are bent ect.

You could also look online for JDM importers and get a low mile JDM head. Might be cheaper. Try hmotorsonline.com not sure if you have any f22 stuff but it’s worth a look

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

OK, I am giving up on this site. It does not appear to function as a forum but rather a site for a select few (site moderator) who like to listen to themselves talk. Your advice has been useless. hmotorsonline is not what I am looking for. To repeat my question and I don't care how many times you have used junkyard heads on your accord, "I am looking for a head rebuilder or remanufactured head seller". Why would you have to do your own accord a few times? It tells me pulling a junk yard head may not be the most effective repair or you have a bazillion miles on your accord.

Last edited by nsilta; 03-16-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: rewording
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

I see reman heads on ebay all day long. Google also has a shopping feature that will help you find places with the part you need and for how much.

Quick Reply: where to buy a good reman head