Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Yet another swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Default Yet another swap question

I have a 1995 LX sedan with a non-VTEC SOHC and a 5 speed.

Now. I heard that I can take the Prelude motor from the same year and put it in my car with some new engine mounts and all that jazz. Is this recommended?

If not, what should I do? If I wanted a VTEC motor could I make the one I have now a VTEC or would I have to swap out the whole thing? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but some of the things I've been hearing and reading are getting confusing. And since I know there are a lot of people out there that don't have their facts straight I am looking for confirmation on the subject.

So... if the Prelude swap isn't a good idea I would like some suggestions.

I admit to knowing pretty much nothing about Honda's. Up until recently I've been a Toyota guy. Mainly Celica's.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Default RE: Yet another swap question

Yeah, the H22 Swap is definetly an option. Keep in mind you'll need to add the extra wiring for VTEC. You'll also should use the H tranny too, since it is stronger and has a limited slip differential.

Now I have heard of some people with your motor adding the the SOHC F22 VTEC head. It involves some modding of course (opening up oil passages, wiring, etc), but it's cheaper than a swap. However, the H22 swap will give you a lot more power.

I'm not sure if you could use the H head on the F block, but if you could, that would also be an option; and a project too.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:25 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't want to change out the motor unless I was using the tranny that was built for it. I guess I'm going to have to get some help on this because I cannot weld and that's fine since I know some people who are experts at it.

Cool. H22 it is. Now I just need to find one with a reasonable amount of mileage on it that hasn't been ragged out.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just a consideration, seeing as you will have the h22 motor already out of the car, you might want to consider a rebuild on it for all the bells a whistles you can get more power that way and have a stronger running engine.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 AM

check it out.

http://hondaswap.net/

Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea i would definately recommend doing a swap. i havent checked that site out yet but the h22a bolts right into your engine bay even with the motor mounts that you currently have (i would recommend at least putting in inserts from energy suspension though). you need

h22a motor
h22a transmission
h22a ECU/computer
h22a wiring harness
h22a/prelude axles

this is it......when you have an h22a wiring harness there is no extra wiring that needs to be done....the solenoid is already plugged in and wired to the plug. now ofcourse your going to need a alt, powersteering pump and a/c compressor that ususally come with the new engine that your getting or you can use the ones you have right now. h22a's are great motors and if you have a shorty intake on it the vtec engagement note is deafning. but....you could go with a turbo on your car, which would provide a completely different experience, and would actually go best on the non vtec motor that you have right now. check out the turbo section for some info, there is someone in there that just turboed his car and he has the exact same car you do.....he just wasted a 2004 mustang gt the other night and the motor isnt even fully dialed in.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that I needed all that stuff but I was also under the impression that the h22a didn't mount up to what I had. I thought there were different types of engines that came in my gen of Accord and the h22 was the jspec or whatever. *shrugs* That's a big relief. Makes this a lot easier. Thanks for that.

I will definitely go with the h22a. I can't wait to swap this thing. *drools*

Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM

This site/page has some sweet advice/kits for the swap... Plus they offer tech support with your purchase...

http://www.f22parts.com/Item_Harness.htm

Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 PM

I have read it only bolts right in a 90-93 accord, I just got my H22 into my 94 accord ex this past weekend, the front,passenger side, and rear(with a little griding) all bolt in, but the driver side no way, I just ordered the mount to make it work from Hasport(www.hasport.com) also I order the ECU conversion harness from them, so I could just plug everything in. Its a night and day difference in the power, definately recommend this swap to everyone who has an accord. Its not to hard to swap at all, just when ever you get your H22 change the water pump,timing belt, and tensioners. Save you a lot of money in the long run.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:46 AM

awesome. thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: Yet another swap question