Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Yo! New member; Just checking in.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
I don't thing you're gonna fit a V-6 swap in there for less than a gazillion dollars.
Good luck with the project.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Talking

Hello New Member..

Welcome to the HAF
Good car to learn to do anything with it..cant lose much trying

Here's your engine swap

Attached Thumbnails Yo! New member; Just checking in.-402ir_stacked_130roush.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What's the point of the sql drive thingy that kills half the cylinders when you're cruising?

Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

That's how they plan to save on gas miles

Attached Thumbnails Yo! New member; Just checking in.-moonwalker.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question

Hi Whistler,
Your reply is along the lines of what I expected, but I am confused.

No matter what size the engine, or how many cyclinders it has, then in order to maintain a constant speed it has to produce a certain amount of power. If it produces more power, the car speeds up, and if it produces less power, the car slows down. Right?

So, if the power output is correct to maintain a constant speed, how can killing half the cylinders improve fuel consumption? The power output is halved if half of the cylinders die, so to compensate the remaining cylinders have to double their power output. They do this by using more fuel than they did before (surely twice as much?).

I thought the primary reason why 6 and 8 cylinder engines use more fuel than 4 cylinders ones was because of the increased friction forces and weight associated with all the extra components (pistons, valve gear, etc).

If half of the cylinders are not consuming any fuel, but they are still moving their pistons and valve gear, then the friction has not reduced by killing them.

Can anybody explain?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I think they play games with the valve gear, so the deactivated cylinders aren't pumping air. I'm not sure if it works exactly this way, but if the valves never open, then it doesn't take as much work to run the inactive cylinders.

From a thermodynamic standpoint, an engine operating at wide-open throttle is most efficient. So the best way to achieve excellent fuel use, is if the engine could magically adjust it's displacement when you press the GO pedal.

Say you have a 2.0 liter engine with throttle open a little bit, operating at 2500 rpm constant highway speed, and just enough throttle to give 10 horsepower.

Then imagine another engine, say 0.2 liters, throttle wide open, operating at 2500 rpm & 10 horsepower. THIS ONE will use substantially less fuel. Problem is, nobody's figured out how to build an engine that can magically change displacement.