General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

* Please Help Clutch problems*

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Default * Please Help Clutch problems*

Hello all I have been having a clutch problem recently in my 96 Accord EX 5spd ( I have 149,000 miles on the car). The clutch has been feeling really weird lately. The friction points have been changing from close to the floor to high up on the pedal within the last week. The clutch has also been locking up and will stayed pushed down to the floor. I tried to drive the car this morning and the clutch would act like it was working correctly then the clutch would hit the floor and I would have to take my hand and release it from its stuck position on the floor. I pumped the clutch hoping that it would work and the clutch would establish pressure then fall to the floor. I also noticed this morning that on the outside of the car I can hear a sqeeking noise when I pushed the clutch down. I have checked the fluid and it's full. So what do you guys think? I have got to get this fixed very quickly because I'm in search of a new job. As always thanks for reading. Breeze

Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: * Please Help Clutch problems*

I'm thinking that it is your clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder. They tend to get worn and no longer make pressure like they use to.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hydraulic problems generally make the friction point move down towards the floor. Air in the MC can make the pedal stay down (doesn't spring back up from the floor). When the clutch disk wears thin it generally makes the friction point move upwards. Maybe you have both problems??

If you have to try something cheap/quick, then bleed the clutch. But realize that may not be the only problem.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM

Thank you for the info. I think we will bleed the clutch and see what happens from there. Thanks so much you guys!!

Old 10-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

are you original owner? it may be time for a new clutch?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM

OK so the clutch was bled out today and the pedal builds up pressure then gets stuck to the floor. I had a machanic look at it and he thinks that it's the slave cylinder. The sqeeking noise started when this problem started. The clutch never sounded like that before. So it looks like I will be replacing the slave cylinder and maybe even the clutch. What do you guys think? I also wanted to ask what would be a better clutch to install other than another factory one? I want a clutch that's a little racey but not something crazy. What do you suggest? Thanks

Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Any fluid leaking out of the slave? As far as I know, the only way for the slave to fail would involve it leaking fluid. It might be leaking inside it's rubber boots...

If it's NOT leaking, then you ought to be prepared to replace the master also.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

If it's NOT leaking, then you ought to be prepared to replace the master also.
It's a good idea to replace them as a set anyway.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Ok so the slave cylinder has been replaced and the clutch was bled out many times. The fluid comes out clear with no bubbles. The clutch will engage and build up pressure and then the clutch will go to the floor and has to be release with your hand. So what does everyone think? The clutch also still makes a sqeeking noise. Thanks for the help. Breeze

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM

chk the clutch pedal return spring as well, make sure it was installed properly ,, if it is ,, boy sure sounds like there is air in the system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: * Please Help Clutch problems*