General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(0 accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
bill3_us
Unregistered
Default (0 accord won't start

I have a 90 accord that won't start.. 4months ago, my baby over heated.. thermostat stuck.. replaced and would not start.. I then checked all my fuses and found all good.. after buying a haynes book and checking main relay.. i then replaced main relay.. the car still would not turn start.. after more investigating found that no fuel to rail.. i replaced fuel pump and still nothing.. i have bypassed the relay to check new fuel pump and fuel then gets to rail.. but when relay is in no spark, no fuel, nothing... this has been a very good car, and i am at a loss... it is a 90 accord w/ 2.2l efi... it it possable that it is the ecm?... any help or ideas would be great... thanks everybody for reading..

Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: (0 accord won't start

um now this is a serious problem, and we are going to need alot more info. so 4 months ago the car ran, it over heated, you replaced the thermo the next day? and it didnt start? or you let it sit around? now you said the motor wont turn start? im not sure what this means. the motor doesnt crank at all? or it cranks but doesnt fire. a huge electrical problem and overheating usually dont coincide.

now if the motor doesnt crank, no fuel nothing, then you have an ignition problem, right at the ignition, hot wire the car to see if it will start. if the car does crankthen forget about this.

you need to find a junkyard for sure. snag as many relays as you can. start going through yours, the relays can be tested with a multimeter. but its easier to just try a different one. it may be a simple problem, start with the easiest thing (battery) other than that we need more info.

lightshow

Old 01-15-2006, 03:46 PM
bill3_us
Unregistered

the thrermo was replaced, then it just wouldn't start.. it will turn over and i am getting spark to the plugs... no fuel to the rail..i replaced the main relay, and still nothing..i have by-passed the main relay for the fuel pump and get fuel to the rail.. but no spark.. so when i put the relay in it gets spark but no fuel...can't figure it out... this is my work car, and my wife wants her new eclipse back...lol
I have replaced main relay 3times w/ 1 being honda part... and i have checked all the circuts as far as i can tell.. but still no fuel when relay is in...
Makes no sense???

Old 01-15-2006, 06:59 PM

that relay shouldnt have anything to do with the spark. your pump should be under the back seat, its a regular 12v system so jump it and see if it works, try to start it, you should easily be able to hear the pump kick on, dont worry about flooding anything, the regulator will send the unused fuel back to the tank. if you have spark you car will for sure start, (if nothing else is wrong), if it doesnt start because you dont have any spark, then you have to figure out whats messed up, if you have put bosch plugs in your car at any time you coil is for sure shot. i think you may be on the wrong track though. i just dont get how overheating will cut out spark or fuel. if your car doesnt start and you now have spark and fuel, check your timing belt, after that, check your compression.

lightshow

Old 01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
bill3_us
Unregistered

hey lightshow,
you were rigth... got my book out and went from plugs back... finally found that the igniter is bad... all other parts of the ignition checked out... called honda dealer and talked to a tech who has been doing hondas for 22yrs.. he said that the OEM igniter will burn out if the car over heats.. then the ECM tell the pump to shut down when the igniter fails, which then keeps from screwing up the timing and sensors.. unfortunately: when you bypass the the main relay. fuel comes in, but no spark.. that it is not real common, but has replaced several of them over the yrs... says the new ones are far better... any way, the thing cost 90bucks, so will replace this next week end... Hopefully all will be good... thanks for the re-direction.. i was going nuts looking at the fuel situation.. all along was a elecrical prob.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:42 AM

well main cause of an overheat is a cracked head gasket. now since your car won't start i think not only it's craked it's blown. you need to check the compression in the block. my suggestion, if you love the car and don't want to give it up, tow it to the shop and get it diognosed.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: bill3_us

hey lightshow,
you were rigth... got my book out and went from plugs back... finally found that the igniter is bad... all other parts of the ignition checked out... called honda dealer and talked to a tech who has been doing hondas for 22yrs.. he said that the OEM igniter will burn out if the car over heats.. then the ECM tell the pump to shut down when the igniter fails, which then keeps from screwing up the timing and sensors.. unfortunately: when you bypass the the main relay. fuel comes in, but no spark.. that it is not real common, but has replaced several of them over the yrs... says the new ones are far better... any way, the thing cost 90bucks, so will replace this next week end... Hopefully all will be good... thanks for the re-direction.. i was going nuts looking at the fuel situation.. all along was a elecrical prob.
I have dealt with literally HUNDREDS of overheating Hondas, and NONE, i repeat NONE had a bad ignitor beacause car overheated,, you could have a bad ignitor but it was not because car overheated,,,,
You also said that you get no fuel as well... ignitor has nothing to do with that,,
,one thing i would look at before you spend the money is to make sure you reconnected the main ground for the computer at the thermostat housing , after you replaced the t-stat