General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' accord ex: P1519 IAC circuit failure - problem is intermitant, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Default 01' accord ex: P1519 IAC circuit failure - problem is intermitant, help

Whats up everyone? So my wifes car is giving me a P1519 for IAC valve circuit failure. The problem is intermitant. Itll run fine for a few days, start idleing all crazy and shoot the code. Once the code shows and u restart the car the problem goes away. Once i reset the code it drives fine for a day or so than repeats the process.

I ran all the checks in my Haynes manual and everything checks out as if theres no problem. Im lost. About a month ago i changed the distributor and the alt dut to a CYP sensor code. It ended up being the alt. No problems there since the new alt. About a wk or two after that the P1519 and the irratic idle came about. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I'd trace wires & look for flaky connections. Dirty or loose grounds? Just a minute ago I saw another post that sounds like a wire that was broken inside it's insulation.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 AM

Yeah i plan to dig into it this wknd. Looking for a bad connection in a small wire covered with factory tape and wire loom is gonna suck. Should be a fun saturday. Thanks though.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure about the 01, but the older accord IAC had two coolant lines going to it to keep the unit hot. I think that was to keep the motor inside from freezing up.

If you have coolant lines going to it, you may want to check that the coolant lines and the ports on the IAC are not clogged.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 AM

Yeah it actually does have a few coolant lines conected to the back of it. I'll check those tomorrow. It's gonna be a long day, the IAC valve/sensor is tough to get to on this car. No room to work with. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM

So I pulled the IAC off my wifes car two wknds ago and cleaned it. Didn't find any clogs and checked the circuit at the sensor again. All electrical checks looked good. The actual IAC was filthy. I cleaned it up nicely and put it back together. It ran fine for a week. Today she called me and sad the idle was goin all crazy again. She got in and started the car after it had been sitting for about 4 hours. The idle was jumping back and forth between 1K and 2K according to her. She turned it off and re-started the car twice. On the 3rd cycling of the motor it stopped. Any more ideas? Could the valve be faulty with the problem being this intermitant?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Look in the DIY section for something I posted about setting the base idle. Go through that procedure see if that helps.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:54 PM

So the idle didn't want to adjust so I went out on a lim and got a used IACV. I'm going to change them out today. After that I want to clean out the system with some Seafoam. Where exactly do I introduce it into the vacuum or air induction? Any info would help. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM

FML! So I put the other IACV on and the problem is worse. Now the car won't stop surging at all. I also got a new code. P0505 which is generic for the IAC valve system fault. I also still have the P1519. I guess I have to assume the used valve I got is bad. Anyone have any thoughts? I could use the help. Next it either goes of a cliff or to the shop. I'm stuck.

Do I just go get a new valve? I can't really attempt to adhjust the idle either because of the surging. I turned the idle screw all the way in and then back out about 1 to 2 full turns. No difference at any time. Help.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM

One other question. When I disconnect the connector to the IAC and start the car, the idle still surges. Is it suppose to? I have seen different opinions so I'm asking again.

Quick Reply: 01' accord ex: P1519 IAC circuit failure - problem is intermitant, help