General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' accord ex: P1519 IAC circuit failure - problem is intermitant, help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Is the 99 accord a v6 or 4-cylinder? Did you get a valve from a 4 or 6 cylinder accord?

When you changed the valve, did you lose a lot of coolant? Did you bleed the air from the cooling system?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

And what year did the IACV come from? I think if the wiring plug fits then it's OK but I'm not compltely sure.

Look for vacuum leaks?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks guys but I think I got it. Finally. So i ended up pullin the new/used valve back off and lookin at it because when the car was running I noticed that the coolant line coming from the IAC to the head wasn't hot. I shut it down and pulled the hose to find it empty. I cleaned the valve that was on the car originally and the used one the same way. That's where I went wrong. I thought I read somewhere that you should use a sensor safe cleaner. I was using a MAP sensor cleaner. Yeah it doesn't clean very well. I got something a little more heavy duty and that's when I realized how free that piece inside the IACV really should be.

I bled the crap out of the coolant system and adjusted the idle per the re-teach process or what ever it's called. So far it seems to be idleing like normal again.

Not sure what year car the IAC came off of. My wife's is actually an 01'. They looked like an exact match but then I noticed that the stud the coolant line that comes from the head connects to on the valve was slightly smaller. Not enough to leak but it was smaller. When I pulled it off the piece inside was completely stuck. Now I know. Thanks again for the help.

Oh and I was thinking about sending some Seafoam through her system to help clean up her internals a bit. It says I can add it in through a vacuum hose or something. What am I looking for? What do you guys recommend?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

You do run the risk of hydro-locking the engine with seafoam, if you add too much.

I would try to attach a funnel to the brake booster hose and add a small amount of seafoam, like a cap full at a time.

The alternative is buy the version that is the aerosol spray can and spray it into a slightly open throttle body.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM

So I already have the other can. The parts stores I've been to don't have the aerosol.
So it says to "slowly add 1/3 pint". So I'll do it a cap full at a time like you said. So is the Seafoam treatment kinf od like doing an engine flush at a lube shop or what? The Seafoam sounds like it would be very useful as far as burn out excess carbon in the motor.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think that you can use seafoam to do the flush by dumping into the crank case. That would flush out the oil passages and the upper part of the cylinder head that has the cam, valve springs, etc. Read the directions on the can for that use.

The way you are using it will clean out any buildup in the intake manifold and the intake/exhaust ports of the cylinder head.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Yeah the can talks about adding it in through a vacuum line or adding it to your gas tank. I'd have to look again to see about adding it to the crank case.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

When you do add the SeaFoam, I'm sure you know it will smoke like all get out, a freight train doen't hold a candle to this.

I usually put a few oz (3 or 4) in the oil. Then split the rest between the gas tank and a vac line.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM

So three days later and here we go again. My wifes car had a surging idle again this morning. This morning it was very cold out. Cold enough for the cars to be a little frosted over. Not really sure what to do next.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Did the CEL come back? Is the coolant level ok in the radiator.

Quick Reply: 01' accord ex: P1519 IAC circuit failure - problem is intermitant, help