General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Accord 2.4 4cyl - Ca Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Default 03 Accord 2.4 4cyl - Ca Emissions?

Hi Folks, I've got an 03 Accord with a 4cyl. I Thought it had Ca emissions.
The emission sticker uder the hood says: " this vehicle conforms to US EPA Tier 2 Bin 5, NLEV and Clean Fuel Vehicle regulations Applicable to 2003 model year New passenger cars AND California Regulations applicable to 2003 model year new LEVII LEV passenger cars" barcode on sticker reads ke1ag24g.

I was looking for a part on estore.honda.com, when I put my vin in, it says it has Emission type KA- US Market.

The orig window sticker says "EPA & CARB low emissions vehicle certified"
Engine # on window sticker is k2a24a4..... So is this car Ca emissions or no?

This all leads to an ongoing problem. In the fall I had the rear O2 sensor changed, and the codes were reset. Now the emissions monitors won't run.

If I have a fed emissions car, with One Ca emissions O2 sensor and one Federal sensor, could that be the problem? I drive about 100 miles a day, I've done the "drive cycles" in the owners manual and others found online. There are no codes in the computer. The "just drive it" answer garages give me isn't cutting it. Any ideas are Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

It says "CARB" & "California" so it should be OK for California.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the emissions monitors won't run".

If you had installed the wrong sensor, it should have set off the Check-Engine light. So I think you're safe for that.

This thread has information I found in my Helm book.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=28313

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Default monitors won't run..

Jim thanks for the info. I guess my more specifc question should have been, when I buy parts for this car , should I buy the Ca. emissions parts?

As for the "monitors won't run", the emissions monitors for NJ inspection are in not ready state. I've been driving thousands of miles since early Sept. 09 and when I put an obd scanner on it it shows,4 or 5 incomplete monitors. the incompletes are CAT, O2 SENSOR, EGR and sometimes evap.

If I do a "drive cycle" and check the obd Before turning off the engine, I get 8 monitors ready. Once I turn it off and restart, I get the 4 or 5 incomplete. Here in NJ, when the state inspects the car, they shut it off before testing, and I fail inspection. Last fall I found a private garage willing to inspect without turning off the engine. I'm trying to get it fixed correctly for the next time. Wondering if I should change "front" O2 sensor so they're both new and I was wondering if I need the Ca emission O2 sensor. or do I need to change them both to non ca emissions? (or do I leave it alone)

Thanks again,
George

Old 05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

No, I think Honda doesn't install different sensors for California.

Where there's actual differences, it's more like a whole different version of the engine. Not just a different sensor. Sometimes it's easier for Honda to sell the low-emmission engine to the whole country so they don't have to deal with different versions.

Those readyness codes aren't supposed to clear just by turning off the engine. Look for a blown fuse, which would maintain the memory. I'll try to look something up in my Helm book.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks again Jim, I've gone through all the fuses before the winter. I even changed a few that tested good because I thought they were the backup/memory fuses. I'll go through them all again. I read an unrelated post somewhere saying to check all 3 fuse boxes?? I've only been looking at 2. Does an 03 Accord have more than 2 fuse boxes?
Thanks,
George

Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

1998-2002 Accords had 3 fuse boxes, one in the engine-bay & also in BOTH ends of the dashboard. 2003+ has only 2 boxes.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks again Jim, I appreciate the time and info.

George