General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 accord ac

Old 10-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Default 03 accord ac

I have a 2003 honda accord, when i turn on the ac the compressor does not engage. With an ethos scan tool it showes compressor clutch on while it is on in the climate control and off when it is off on the climate control.
i have swapped relays to see if that would work and nothing. The fan does blow correct with just fan selected so i believe that should count the relays and resistor out. I have also used the autozone refrigerant can to make sure there is some in the system but i didnt think i wanted to fill it qithout the clutch engaged. Any help is appreciated

its my sister car so i dont k ow how long its been this way.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

The pressure switches must be satisfied or else the scan tool wouldn't show the compressor clutch being on.

Do you get voltage at the wire going to the compressor clutch? I'm not sure, but I think that circuit is grounded through the mounting bolts of the compressor, so there's only 1 wire (I'm going from my memory of 1998 Accord...).

Old 10-29-2018, 03:27 PM

Ill take a look, im sure the wire is t the easiet to get to, i forgot to add the fans also do turn on when ac is turned on, would that be 12-14 volts, or more like a 5 volt voltage reading

Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

An 03 time for the compressor to be changed. I have changed out plenty to know it's not a power issue but you do want to go through the troubleshooting steps before replacing it. Doesn't take long if you start with the plug at the compressor. Do not fill unless you know the system is low and in that case you have a leak so it would need to be fixed before filling.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 PM

alright, thank you for the tips and the help, I appreciate it.

Search this Thread