General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 Accord EX-L (4dr)--A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Markestoddard
Unregistered
Default '03 Accord EX-L (4dr)--A/C not working

So a week ago, I was sitting in traffic and noticed it was warm in the car. The dash is still blowing but no longer cold. Condenser and radiator fans are still running, just no compressor. Next day and rest of that week, everything was fine.

This past Saturday, same problem except compressor has not come on since (now day 3). I have checked the pressure switch next to the condensor. It's good because when I unplug it, the fans cutoff. I have tapped on the 2 fan and 1 compressor relays and even moved them around. I know the fan relays work because when I unplug them the fans quit and when I plug them back in, I feel the click and the fans come back on. All the fuses are still good and I have full functionality of my climate control system. When the air conditioner was working, it was blowing cold like it usually does so I don't think it is low on refrigerant.

I was thinking that maybe the compressor clutch has developed too much of a gap and cannot be pulled back in. The only problem with that assumption is it doesn't explain the a/c not working one day and then ok the next because the car would have been sitting with the clutch in the same place when it wasn't working. Or, the stator may be out or some other switch that I have not mentioned.

If anyone could help, that would be awesome. I like to fix things on my own because the dealer is too expensive. Just to diagnose is $100 and I still have to buy the part.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Check to see if the a/c compressor relay is working by unplugging the connector. Start car and turn on A/C.

Check that you have 12V one pin to ground to a good grounding point (engine block, bolts on valve cover). If the 03 has two pins, check that the other pin has a good ground connection by checking continuity to a good ground.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Markestoddard
Unregistered

I checked all the fuses and relays and everything works. I bought a test light and checked the power to the compressor. The compressor is getting power when the A/C button is turned on. Could the stator be bad or possibly the clutch gap?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 AM
genroxbro
Unregistered
Default 03 Accord EX L 4dr A/C not working

the pdf icon might not work if your home machine is not installed with a later version of adobe reader.To delete the pdf icon in the front end. i.e to hide the pdf icon for a particular article in the front end:login through the admingo to the articlenow select parameters advanced and set pdf icon to hidethen the pdf icon will disappear at the front end.hope this helpsregards,micky _____________________________________Website I designed for cash advances company.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-07-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Genroxbro, Welcome to the site.
But what does your post have to do with this thread?
I removed the little link & you should read the posting rules.