General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 Accord LX. Computer wont communicate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '03 Accord LX. Computer wont communicate?

So, this past weekend I took the old Honda up to the dealer to get her new computer flashed over to the car, but the dealer told me the new ECU is not communicating. It wont tell them anything. I recently bought this computer from LKQ junkyard in Monroe, GA. I was assured that it would work and could bring it back if the part was defective. However, the dealer called me up and asked me if I still had the old ECU, so they could see if that was the problem or not. dropped it off Saturday midday and I am sure I will not hear anything until Monday, if not Tuesday. I was wondering if anything besides the Main Relay could keep the ECU from communicating. If anyone could help I would appreciate it greatly, thanks!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, damaged OBD2 connector under dash or damaged connections to ECU. OBD2 connector is female end so harder to damage. However, pins on ECU side are delicate and easy to deform if connector is misaligned. W/ ECU change, I would suggest checking this first.

good luck

Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thats great info, and I definitely will check if they cant figure it out. What would you suggest as the best course of action to test the connector, would a multi-meter work checking each pin?

Last edited by HateThisHonda; 05-19-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Eyeball inspection. If pin is bent, it might be repairable,...or not.

good luck

Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

thank you very much for the information!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Fixed the problem! The source of this mess was the Throttle Body ground was loose. It grounded the motor and did not allow the cars electrical system to communicate period. When the dealer found the bolt loosened they of course tightened it down. I purchased a new ECU, and had it bolted down and ready to flash. It started to communicate late Saturday about closing time(3pm) , so they didnt flash it until Monday morning around 10am. The thing that pissed me off was, on Saturday I had given them the old ECU, at 12noon, to check to see if the communication problem was due to the newly purchased ECU being faulty. It wasn't as was discovered. They could have bolted the new one in and cranked the car! I was pretty specific about them doing that very thing too, if they found the problem to be outside the ECU! It only cost me an extra $50+ tax to have the new one flashed over, but still. I have spent collectively $600.00+ on a car that was down and out for 2 weeks. Every penny counts. Ultimately, at least, I have a running car. Happy there! Hope this thread helps other people!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Who removed the throttle body to clean? Moi? It is unlikely to loosen itself.

good luck