General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 clunking noise when I brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:45 PM
anrebel1
Unregistered
Default 03 clunking noise when I brake?

I have an 03 accord lx and whenever I brake hard at a low rate of speed (no more than 10-15 mph) it sounds like a clunking noise. this noise happens more frequently when the engine is cool. I first noticed it a a drive-through when I pulled up a bit. Is this a common thing or something I should be concerned about? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Default RE: 03 clunking noise when I brake?

I would be worried, unless you KNOW what the noise is and know its not dangerous -be careful.

Really need more info on the noise, where is it coming from-brakes? chassis? exhaust?etc

first thing comes to my mind is that a while ago my exhaust piping came loose from one of the rubber pieces that hold it in place, so under a harsh brake it would swing into the underside and make a 'clunk' noise. but because it was only one joint the exhaust did not look like it was hanging any different

its a long shot- but give the exhaust a tap (gently- a little push with your hand will do) and see if it clunks- and check the underside of your car- look at the rubber mounts- hopefully its that and not something worse......

Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM

theres a dust shield on the rotor - check if its not touching the rotor - also make sure all lug nuts are tight correctly 80 Pounds of torque -

Old 06-10-2005, 01:26 PM

is it too early for his CV boots to be going? or wheel bearings?

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
anrebel1
Unregistered

btw, I'm a her. we just checked the brakes not too long ago and they looked fine. My b/f is good with cars and would (hopefully) recognize is something was touching something incorrectly. He said maybe it was the abs checking...blah blah blah...but I dont buy it. I'll have to check the exhaust and see if it moves at all. Near as I can tell it come from the front end of the car, but I'm alwayz in it and moving when it happens so I cant be positive

Old 06-12-2005, 02:43 PM

You mention "when the engine is cool". The engine RPM (when cool) may be slightly higher, (due to a necessary enriched fuel mixture), than when warm. Have you tried shifting to neutral occasionally and then stopping to see if the noise is still present? This would some what separate the transmission, axles, etc from trying to propel the vehicle while braking.

Also - some brake disc pads will preform this way especially in damp or high humid conditions. Its like the pads grab more and make the sound you mention.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:47 AM
jiangxuexi
Unregistered

please see the 2003 accord braking noise ( grinding noise ) dated around 12/23/05, we saw the same problem here, and the same problem haunted me since 2003 I got my accord LX, we need to work together to report this problem to honda to protect our own rights

Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 PM

I know this is an older post but this may satisfy some curiosity.

I have a 2006 Accord LX with 13,000 miles. I started hearing a "clunk" noise when braking.

The noise only happens during the first braking of either going forward or reverse. If I would back up then put the car in drive, go forward and hit the brakes I hear a CLUNK. The same noise is heard if I start in forward then go into reverse. I took the car to the dealer for repair. They told me the noise was normal and was not a safety concern or manufacturers defect. They said it is the brake pads shifting during the first braking of each direction.
Since there was not a "defect" found, the dealership wanted to charge a brake inspection fee of $50 because there was no defect found AND that wear items like brake pads are only under warrantee for 12,000 miles.
After a lot of complaining by me he waived the fee but told me that the noise was normal and would probably get a little louder as the pads wear down.
I find it hard to believe that this noise is normal but I guess I have to live with it.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

hey your b/f is a keeper it is most likely your abs resetting and is competely normal.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:04 AM

I have a same problem. And it doesn't come out of brake anymore, because it is not that cold.(??) I've visited Honda Service center with this problem. They charged $40, and they said is was not a problem. In cold temperature, the rust on rotor makes some noise for fist several minutes after operating. but who think it is not a problem?? I guess they just can't get it clearly.

Everyone is looking this problem from all different kinds of view, but they couldn't find out the exact problem on this forum.

Anyway my answer is no one knows what problme the sound is from exactly. But don't worry too much, because many people have same problem. and no one had any accident with this problem.

Hopefully we will get it !!

Quick Reply: 03 clunking noise when I brake?