General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 power seat recline not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Default '03 power seat recline not working

Hey all, the other day the power seat recline in my '03 EX-L V6 Coupe stopped working. The motor is working and sounds fine, but when I try it, it just keeps clicking like the gears are stripped in it. Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I need to get it fixed soon because it got stuck in an uncomfortable position...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

You should do some electrical tests to see if the motor is getting voltage when you hit the recline switch.

I am not sure how difficult it is to access to test and/or replace. I got a manual for my tsx from automanualsource on Ebay for $21 that you can quickly download. I think that seller has 03-07 manuals that you can buy. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If I had to guess, I would say it is the recliner motor. Test before you replace.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Im pretty sure it isnt the motor. It does move foward, down, up, back, and tilts foward(sometimes...), but it just wont recline. Im thinking it might be the gear for the seat back. Any ideas?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

My TSX which is similar to your accord has 4 motors in the drivers seat. From the parts diagram on the hondapartsnow.com site, it looks like your accord has a similar setup.

front up/down
back up/down
slide
recline

It also looks like honda sells the recline motor. The other three motors are part of the lower seat assembly.

Your recline motor should have two wires going to it. Depending if you hit the switch to recline forward or backward, one wire will have voltage and the other will have ground. The voltage/ground will switch when you switch direction for the motor. That is why I suggested to do some electrical tests on the switch to see if it is working properly.