General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 accord starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Default 04 accord starting issues

My 2004 Accord DX Starting Problems / When i try to start my car it wont start it makes a noise something like Dadadadadadadadadadadadadadada.The noise is coming from my fuse box located under the dash driver side beside the clutch peddle. It started doing it once in a while about 3 months ago now its all the time.I went to the auto store i told them it sounds like a starter relay they told me theirs no starter relay on it they were very little help in resolving my issue any help would be great.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Starter cut relay is in the under-dash fuse box. Relay may be faulty, however, noise could also be result of faulty keyswitch which enables the relay.

Suggest swapping another relay w/ starter cut relay to see if problem is resolved. There are several similar relays on most fuse/relay panels.

good luck

Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 PM

It could be a defective aftermarket auto alarm as well.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Thank you for your Response I checked the cut relay its OK . How difficult is it to replace a key switch.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Looking at shop manual, it appears to be an easy job. Remove upper/lower steering wheel covers, remove switch.

Shop manual did not describe removal, only access to test, so I can't be certain. In earlier models the switch is retained by two security bolts (round head, 6mm bolts. Use small sharp chisel to hit w/ side blow to loosen.

How did you confirm starter cut relay is good? Did you swap another relay or replace relay?

good luck

Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Yes i followed the instruction from your earlier post and swapped them out it still made the same noise as before.
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Before replacing the switch, suggest you confirm that start signal (12V) is not coming to the relay. Probably easiest to check w/ steering column covers removed. It's a blk/wht wire and should carry 12V when switch turned to Start.

However, your call on check. Your test of relays does indicate switch failure w/ small possibility of faulty wiring between starter switch and relay. Corrosion under the underhood fuse/relay panel is not rare.

good luck

Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM

I checked the fuse box under the hood no corrosion i have 12 v on the black and white wire when i order this part is it the key switch or the ignition switch ? Also when i try to start the car after the noise in between trying to start it with the key on .The heater kicks on full blast and runs 3 or 4 seconds and the heater is turned off when this happens wasn't sure if this was important just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM

If you are getting 12v on blk/wht wire when key is turned to Start, then keyswitch is good.

I have heard of loose contacts for the relay causing problems. Does relay pull out easily? Try moving relay while key is in start position.

Have you tried jumping 12V to blk/wht out of the starter cut relay to the starter? This should cause starter solenoid to engage and starter to turn. Car will not run if key is in Off position. You will need to run a hot wire from somewhere (battery) to starter cut relay plug and connect to the blk/wht leaving the relay going to the starter.

Alternatively, you could jump 12V directly from battery to the small blk/wht connector on the starter solenoid (may be hard to reach however).

If starter turns over, this confirms starter is not causing the problem.

Make sure your battery is fully charged.

good luck

Old 04-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Default 04 Starting Issue

My 2004 Accord DX Starting Problems / When i try to start my car it wont start it makes a noise something like Dadadadadadadadadadadadadadada.The noise is coming from my fuse box located under the dash beside the clutch peddle. It started doing it once in a while about 3 months ago now its all the time.I went to the auto store i told them it sounds like a starter relay they told me theirs no starter relay on it they were very little help in resolving my issue any help would be great.

I have replaced the ignition switch cylinder now it turns over but wont start i sprayed a little ether in the breather and nothing changed still just turns over ANY IDEAS.

Quick Reply: 04 accord starting issues