General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Accord EX Sedan 4 Cyl 90K Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Default '05 Accord EX Sedan 4 Cyl 90K Cracked Block

My wife and I purchased a 2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl new and have had all the maintenance (recommended and routine) performed at the Honda dealer we purchased it from. The car has never run hot nor has it ever been in an accident. The car has just over 90K miles. The other day my wife drove the car to work and when she went to leave later that afternoon she noticed a puff of white smoke out the exhaust, but nothing else. It cleared quickly and she drove the car home with no problems. The next morning it was cool temperature wise when she started the car, but this time white smoke came billowing out the exhaust pipe. She first thought it was condensation burning off, but after she drove half a block down the street and it did not clear up she drove it home and parked it. When I got home from work I started it long enough to go around to the back and sure enough the exhaust smelled "sweet" which I knew meant there was coolant present. I shut the car off and had it taken to the same Honda Dealer on a roll back. They pulled the head off and said there was no indication of a blown head gasket. The cylinder head was sent to a machine shop and checked for any sign of a crack, but none was found. Then we were advised by the Honda dealer that the block was cracked. The Honda Dealer has submitted something called a Good Will request to Honda along with all the service history on the car and is asking for a replacement factory Honda short block. I am hoping Honda will stand behind this as I cannot help but think that this must have been a defective factory casting when the block was produced. Can you who are much more knowledgeable than I am please tell me if Honda does cover the cost of the short block what else I should have done whether Honda pays for it or not? My wife loves this car and does not want to give it up even for a new one. Thank you for any advice.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean other repairs while you are in there kind of items? Or do you mean upgrades?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 PM

well, if price isn't a big deal, timing belt and waterpump would be good to look at... if you haven't had the timing belt done it would be wise to do so at this point if they don't do that with a new block... (I can't imagine they'd put a belt from a old block in a new one but you never know) outside of that unless you've got issues somewheres else you should be good.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 PM

@PAhonda-thanks I meant other repairs while in there, no upgrades.
@Hicksvilleshick-thanks, but I believe the 4 cyl as in this case has a timing chain and the V6 has the timing belt

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

You are right, there is a timing chain on your car. A new short block would need the chain and guides installed. Find out if the dealer would use your old chain. If yes, have them inspect how far the hydraulic tensioner is pushed out.

I am of the opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Find out if they plan on evacuating the a/c system (they shouldn't). If they evacuate the system, then it would be a good idea to replace the o-rings. Ask if they drop out the sub-frame. If yes, then any worn component (motor mounts, etc...) should be replaced.

Ask if they will bench test the alternator. I replaced mine last weekend, and it is kind of a pain. Ask about the starter too. I wouldn't blindly replace those two items.

The water pump should be new with the short block, but ask about that. The water pump is not driven by the timing chain on your car.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 PM

@PAhonda-thanks so much for pointing out what you did. I would never have known to ask about those particular issues. I have made a list of them and will make sure I address each one of them with my Honda dealer (Economy Honda) who by the way I have nothing but praise for in handling this.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by redex02door4
@PAhonda-thanks I meant other repairs while in there, no upgrades.
@Hicksvilleshick-thanks, but I believe the 4 cyl as in this case has a timing chain and the V6 has the timing belt

Ah good point... I'm still learning the particulars on these little motors...

Gimme a small block chevy... lol

Old 10-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hicksvilleshick
Gimme a small block chevy... lol
I'll take either SB Chevy, F or J series Honda

Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 PM

OK, so Honda Rep says "no" to Good Will request my Honda dealer sent to replace the cracked engine block. Having bought three cars at the dealership and having (6) Accords serviced there shows me how little American Honda as a National Company values customer loyalty. Honda says car is too old and has too many miles. Yeah, right! So dealer says Honda short block is about $6,500.00 from Honda, cylinder head another $2000 and some change then there are other parts concerns previously mentioned earlier in this thread. Dealer has said they can get a used engine same displacement with 78K miles, but no history on it (I can presume came out of wrecked car) for about $3,600.00 installed with a 12/12 parts and labor warranty. Car if engine was fine is worth approximately between $8,400.00-$9,000.00 private party value on KBB. My wife loves this car and really does no want to part with it. I have no problem putting in a new factory Honda short block and cylinder head. What I question though is whether I could safely I mate up the old cylinder head with a new Honda short block and obviously replace some things like the head bolts, etc. What else should I change in the old cylinder head or have done to it? Also, since there is no sign of a blown head gasket and no cylinder head crack, it seems a cracked block is being given as the reason simply by a process of elimination. I have never asked point blank if a crack in the block can be seen. If not, I wonder if it would be smart to get a second opinion on the cylinder head? I appreciate any feedback you wish to give. Thank you.

Last edited by redex02door4; 10-16-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have decided to repair the car. You might want to shop around for quotes on replacing the engine from other places.

The engine is almost definitely from a wrecked accord. Ask if the supplier will do a compression test or a leak down test on the engine? You may want to search the web for places that sell rebuilt J-series engines (and their warranties).

The supplier may give you the VIN for the donor accord, and the dealership could check their database for service records.

I wonder why they are going to reuse your cylinder head? A used engine should comes assembled.

Last edited by PAhonda; 10-19-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: '05 Accord EX Sedan 4 Cyl 90K Cracked Block