General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Accord EX - temp/odometer display

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Edegas
Unregistered
Default 05 Accord EX - temp/odometer display

Hi,
I always drive with the temp and the trip mileage displayed on the odometer. A few days ago, I noticed that whenever I started the car, the odometer appeared to have 'reset' to show total mileage instead of my previous setting. I can set the display back to showing me the temp, but after turing the engine on and off, I'm back to total miles.
That alone is probably not too annoying, but it also seems that the car 'sounds' different when turing the ignition key, as if there were some hesitation. It still starts, but it just feels different.
Both 'symptoms' oocurred at the same time.
Has anybody had this before?
Thanks,
Ed.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!
But... NO that hasn't happened to me. It 'remembers' the trip-meter display from when I turned off the car.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Edegas
Unregistered

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. There is a new symptom this morning. My key no longer locks the car (remotely). I have to press the button in the door.
So, I have a 'weak' sounding start, loss of setting on the odometer, and now to more remote power locks (my battery was replaced ~2 y ago).
Any thoughts?
Ed.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Sometimes a weak connection can cause weird problems.

Take the connections loose and clean the connector as well as the post on the battery. Rub some vaseline on the posts before re-connecting the battery cables. You may want to check the connections at the other end of the battery cables too.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

I have better luck using grease not vaseline. Higher melting point...
And yes, check the OTHER ends of the battery cables.

And it's not impossible for a 2-year-old battery to go bad either.