General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Accord SE V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Default 07 Accord SE V6

Just picked a pre owned SE V6 today (59k) from private party. Trying to get to know the car. AM pretty handy so I'll be changing the oils and brakes whenever the time comes. Noticed in the owners manual that preferred tranny oil is Honda ATF-Z1. After some web research looks like there are a few non-Honda comptible oils such as Castrol Import and Mobil 1 ATF.

Anyone try these oils? Also, apparently, this car has no tranny filter, only screen. And sounds like it just a simple oil drain and refill?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I recommend the Honda ATF. The new Honda replacement for Z1 is DW1, which is synthetic.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Default Substitute?

Is there an aftermarket substitute for the Honda ATF? Mobil 1 ATF maybe? Castrol?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Default Valvoline

Just got this reply from Valvoline:

Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your newer Honda application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet both the Honda ATF DW-1 and ATF Z-1 specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100% compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties.

Attached you will find a copy of the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF letter that will list all the specifications the product will meet, including the Honda ATF DW-1.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

Thank you,
Valvoline Product Support

To Whom It May Concern:
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of field testing and laboratory testing.
Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.

• Allison TES 389, C-4
• ATF 3403 M115
• Audi/VW G-052-025-A1/A2, G-055-025, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-055-005-A1/A2, G-055-162, G-060-162-A1/A2
• BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4 fluids
• Ford MERCON
• Ford FNR5
• Ford MERCON® V
• Ford MERCON® SP
• MERCON® LV
• GM 9986195
• GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
• Honda/Acura ATF-Z, DW-1 (except in CVTs)
• Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, and SPH-IV
• Jaguar JLM20238, LT71141
• JWS 3309
• KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids
• KIA Red 1
• MAN 339 Type F
• Mazda M-V
• Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10
• Mercedes Benz NAG-1
• MOPAR AS68RC ATF
• Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4
• Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
• Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S
• Saab 93 165 147
• Subaru ATF
• Subaru ATF-HP
• Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
• Toyota WS (except Hybrid vehicles)
• Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363), H55.6335.33 (G607)
• Volvo 1161521 and 1161540, and STD 1273.41
• VW TL52162
• ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C

Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty. The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.
While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and anti-shudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.

Last edited by tobybul; 02-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it is not recommended to run anything but Honda Z1 or DW1

many many documented cases of trans failiers after running a different fluid including myself.

About 10K miles ago I blew a transmission cooling line so after fixing I filled the trans with fluid from the auto parts store that said safe for Honda.

Well with only 140k miles on my car my trans completely failed.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you were typing while I was responding.

BTW -- Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc is the fluid I used.

I would NOT use anything but Honda fluid, but it is your car. Save a few bucks now and spend many more down the road. YMMV

Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM

thanks, crispin. I just found Valvoline's response interesting.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 PM

I bought a case of DW today from the dealer. Got it for just over $6 a qt (if you buy a case). It pays to shop cuz the other dealer wanted $10 a qt.

At that price, might as well stick with Honda DW cuz its cheaper than the after market compatibles.

I'll be changing oil this weekend. Should the tranny oil be cold or should I drive the car a bit b4 changing the oil?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, I like to drive it a bit....not super hot but "a trip or two around the block"...before each drain. Be sure to wipe the drain bolt clean.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Did it first thing this morning. Wasn't too bad. Took ~ 2.75 qts out, put 3 qts in. Now level is just right. Was slightly low.

Drove 120 miles and noticed shifting was much smoother. Couldn't even feel it shifting when accellerating but you know its doing it. So looks like DW1 fluid even better than ZF.

I jacked both sides but higher on passenger side to let it drain better.