General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 accord rear spidle nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 08 accord rear spidle nut

I have to replace r-rear hub assembly. got everything apart and can't figure out how to get at the spindle nut. if there is a dust cap it is inverted and can't figure out how to get it off. there is no lip to pry against there is no way to get channel locks on it. I almost drilled holes in to pull on it but I hope someone can help me out. the new part does not have one so I need to save this if I can. thanks.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that's interesting. Looks like it un-bolts from the inboard side of the knuckle.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thank you very much Jim. I saw 4 bolt heads on the back side but I have never had to take one off that way. I still don't see how it will come out even unbolting from the back. the new part has a ring gear on the back side for parking brake. there are no threaded holes in the new part that match the 4 bolt heads on the back side. I will look at again tomorrow. any more comments please post them up.

after I get it off I still need the dust cap. maybe I can pound it out from the backside and tap it in the new part. any honda techs on here that have done this let me know if this is correct. thanks.

Last edited by jeff2425; 03-12-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well, up to 2006 it was a spindle with a big nut on the outside, just like you were expecting. Most of us have probably not seen the new version yet, kinda like me.
DesertHonda or HondaDude maybe because they have shops. I just work on my own cars.

If there's no threaded holes in the new part, maybe the store gave you the wrong part...? See the 4 ears on the stationary part of the hub? Got those?

That "gear" isn't for the handbrake. It's for the ABS magnetic wheel-sensor.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks again. I think I got the wrong part. the original hub has an inverted metal cap that is where the spindle nut would be. the new part is open on both ends. even if it bolts up I need the cap to protect the wheel side from dirt and water. I was hoping someone could tell me if that cap will tap out from the old hub to reuse on the new hub. it looks to me like the whole end to the outside is cast as one piece cap and flange. well at least I learned a few new things today.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I think if you get the proper part it'll have the 4 ears with threaded holes so you can bolt it on from the back-side. There will be no need to open the end where you think the dust cap is. For all I know, that new style doesn't have a removable dust-cap at all. Don't try to use the wrong part & make it fit cause then you can't return it to the store.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes I definetly had the wrong part. I had an sfk brand from rock auto.com. no ears for the bolts and the open end. first time I ever had a problem from rockauto. so I guess I better get one from honda and be sure.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

You're probably gonna return it to RockAuto, so why don't you just call & explain it to them. Maybe they'll cover return shipping & ship you the CORRECT one for free???

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I called rockauto today and they have to get ahold of skf. according to the part number the part I got should work. on monday I will hear what skf has to say. I suppose it's possible I got a wrong part in the correct box. it was $85.00 cheaper than a honda oem part so maybe it was too good to be true.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

try hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information

Here's a 2007 rear brake - look like the one you got??

Quick Reply: 08 accord rear spidle nut