General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Accord - Major tire wear issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Default 09 Accord - Major tire wear issue

I joined and am posting hoping that someone might be able to help because I have no idea what to do.

My 09 Accord (40K miles) has torn through five sets of tires. I have had 6 alignments in about a year in an attempt to fix the problem. The tire wear is always the same, it occurs on the driver's side and mostly in the front. The issue starts as a humming noise at about 1000 miles and grows into a thumping noise. The inside edge of both the front and rear will eventually completely wear out.

At 34K I brought it back to the dealer again and was advised to buy tires from them as well as have it aligned there. I was told to return at the next oil change to verify that the problem persists.

At the 40k mark I returned with the tires wearing again mostly in the front and only on the inside edge. They put the car on rack and found it to be in perfect alignment (dealers' words). I stated that clearly something was wrong with the car and allowed them to keep it for a few days while they did "research". Today they called back saying that the higher ups state that if the car is in alignment and the problems persists it is due to "how the vehicle is being used".

I have owned 5 Accords (01,03,05,07&09) in this decade as I buy a new one every couple years for work. I have over 500K miles in them and have never experienced an issue like this.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you could post the alignment results it would be helpful to see what is occurring.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm picking up the car in the AM and getting a copy of the spec sheet then.

My 07 is getting new tires and an alignment tomorrow at the place I use for non warranty work so I'll make an appt to take the 09 in for an alignment check to get their numbers.

FYI, its a base model 4 cyl LX.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 PM

reading the results would tell us a lot......
....No offense if i ask this but how much does the driver weigh???

reason being,,,,, i had a car that was going through tires very fast,( camber wear ) did 3 alignments , alignment specs were right on,,it did not make any sense,, I could not figure it out,,, TILL,,,, i actually saw the person driving the car , the gentleman was quite heavy ,,so when i aligned the car the specs were right on but when he sat in it, the camber went way off,, so believe or not i decided to align the car with him sitting in the driver's seat to adjust the specs to compensate for the extra weight ,,,, after that,, no more issues ..
I am not saying this is your case ,,, but it brought back memories of tires keeping on wearing so fast .........But posting the specs will tell us a lot more ..

Hope that you do not feel offended by what i said ,, if i have offended you in any way , I apologize

Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 AM

I was told a similar story when taking a collage course on suspensions. It is one of those things we forget.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Couldnt it also be that the struts have gone bad? That happened to my taurus, the inside of the front tires would wear faster than the outside because the front struts were bad(its not cus im heavy I only weigh 185)

Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM

i would think and hope that the dealer already checked all the obvious stuff after such a repeat issue ,,,,,,,
if it turns out to be bad struts, then techs thee are not doing a very good job ..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 AM

I didn't end picking up my car until Sunday. As far as the weight, I weigh 220.

Here are the specs (before/after):

Front
Caster:
Left 3.63/3.68
Right 3.55/3.59

Camber:
Left .03/.03
Right -.06/-.06

Toe:
Left .1/.1
Right 0/.1
Total .1/.2

Rear
Camber:
Left -1.12/-1.12
Right -.97/-.97

Toe:
Left .9/.9
Right .5/.5
Total 1.4/1.4

Thrust Angle
.03/.03

Last edited by John R; 07-19-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fixed a spec
Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 PM

I brought it to my local guy and they found that despite that the numbers are within Honda specs, there is clearly an issue with the camber. There seems to be an issue with the suspension.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Has anyone checked the ride height of the vehicle at all four corners?

Quick Reply: 09 Accord - Major tire wear issue