Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   09 Accord - Major tire wear issue (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/09-accord-major-tire-wear-issue-33607/)

John R 07-22-2010 10:11 PM

I will ask about the ride height.

This is an issue that up until this week I was dealing exclusively with Honda on. I have always maintained that this is a mechanical issue with the vehicle itself and they disagree.

I contacted the state arbitration office (lemon law) but this issue is not one they would take up b/c the warranty is no longer in effect.

On top of that the dealership is now saying that the warrantied tires they placed on the vehicle at their request as a short term solution will not be replaced b/c of uneven wear. The only reason I bought them was to demonstrate the wear in a 5-6k period with all the work performed at their dealership.

If anyone has any other advice I can ask my local guy about I will.

SolEX01 07-25-2010 04:13 PM

Another Possibility:

Bent Frame

Some cars, after being shipped from factory, can have their frames bent depending on improper attachment to the shipping medium (e.g. truck, train, etc.).

If the Frame is bent, as the car moves, the suspension components will not be where they are located even though they may be within alignment specs. Alignments are performed with the vehicle at a standstill where a bent frame wouldn't affect the results.

Suggestion: Take care to body shop and have them check the frame alignment. If the frame is bent, you do have some recourse with Honda per lemon laws.

John R 08-05-2010 08:43 PM

The independent shop I took my car to has identified an issue with the control arms. If anyone has thought on what could cause an issue with them, that would be helpful.

PAhonda 08-05-2010 09:13 PM

If it is the lower control arm, I can only think of bad rubber bushings (10, 11, 12), or bent control arm (8/9). Are you the only owner of this car? Has it ever been in an accident?

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...arm-469550.png

As for the upper arm (9/10), it could be bent as well. Also the upper ball joint (where 11/8, etc..) are located, or the bushings where 14 bolt in:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...kle-469549.png

Bad bushings should be easily identified, because trying to push/pull the tire with the car on jackstands would show a lot of movement. Plus look to see if the rubber is cracked.

If the upper ball joint is really loose, you would also get a lot of movement. The same check should be done on the lower ball joint.

John R 08-05-2010 09:22 PM

I am the only owner and no accidents. I have 40K miles in about a year.

I'll do my best to relay what was explained to me. The first thing I was told is that the dealer should really be fixing this. Despite the car being within dealer specs, the camber is affected by an issue with the control arm. To fix it they have to disassemble the suspension, adjust the control arm and do a 4 wheel alignment.

Then I'll need new tires as the current set is shot at only 6K miles.

PAhonda 08-05-2010 10:24 PM

That is pretty ridiculous that you are going through tires that quickly. Is it only one tire, or all of them? Has the dealership done all of the alignment and tire replacements?

The alignment may be fine, but worn/bad suspension components can ruin a tire because they will not hold the tire in place under load. A dealership should be able to identify the culprit.

The dealership should take of the problem, if you have taken it there for tires and and alignment. If they refuse to fix the problem under warranty, I would call Honda of America and file a complaint. If there is another Honda Dealership in your area, you should consider taking your accord to their service department.

John R 08-05-2010 10:47 PM

It starts with the driver side front tire and then quickly spreads to the rear. The passenger side is then affected as the wear is so severe on the left side.

I brought the issue to their attention several times. This last time I agreed to buy tires from them, perform an alignment and agreed to return at the next oil change. I was told that if the problem persisted after all the work was done there then they could confirm the issue and repair it.

When I returned about 6K miles later and the issue was confirmed, I was told it was due to the way I was using the vehicle.

I already have a complaint filed with Honda of America and they also told me to take it to another dealership. I guess that is what I'll do next.

I took it to my local guy because I was tired of dealing with Honda. He says they can fix it but Honda really should do it under warranty.

Does his explanation about the control arm make sense to you?

PAhonda 08-05-2010 10:59 PM

It can definitely explain the front driver's side tire. I am a bit surprised by the other tires wearing out due to one bad tire, but anything is possible.

The repairs should all be handled under warranty. The cause of the problem should not be too difficult to diagnose. I would take it to another dealership. Not sure if the new dealership will charge you for tires.

The tires should have some mileage warranty on them, but I am not sure. Definitely explain all of this to the service manager at the new dealership, bring all paperwork of previous work at the other dealership, and tell him you notified Honda of America as well.

YeuEmMaiMai 08-06-2010 06:26 AM

u buy the car new or used? sounds like accident damage or assemby error

hondadude 08-06-2010 07:46 AM

Camber:
Left .03/.03
Right -.06/-.06
Things that make ya say 'Hmmmmmmm'
I would get with your independent person that you use, ask them to install an aftermarket 'camber' kit.
Bite the bullet on the cost and save yourself a few sets of tires.
FWIW when I worked at an indy honda shop, we had two 50 lb bags of dog food to use doing alignments. one on the drivers seat, and one on the floor board behind the drivers seat.
It does indeed make a difference in the alignment.
I also would always set the front toe just slightly to negative....not out of spec;
But take into consideration that when the front wheels pull the toe tries to go positive.