General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Honda not running right

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:02 PM
xbox1986
Unregistered
Default 1981 Honda not running right

i recently bought a 1981 Honda Accord LX hatchback 5 speed off of craigs list for $200 so i knew there would be some problems to fix but i didnt know fixing them would make some worse. After buying a new carb. ($462.50) it ran without back firing and started up within 1/8 of a second everytime but it over revved at idle. the power was fine for having only 68-75 hp and it didnt give me any trouble while driving, just idling 2000-2500 RPMs or sometimes trying to stall at a light (depending on how i slowed down with brakes and gears) i know now it needs a new brake booster because its losing vaccum when i hit the brakes and making a wooshing sound resulting also in a drop in RPMs at the same time. the real problems started when i attempted to roll start in reverse with an old cracked timing belt. it didnt start because i didnt have enough speed and then it failed to start like it used to. i made 5 attempts before it finally came to life slowly and giving it full gas as it would barely rev up took anywhere from 3-10 seconds to hit idle speed with full pedal. i knew something was wrong so i took it to my mechanic and told him what happened and he said i prolly skiped time on the engineand would need a new belt to correct it. next day i had him put onthe new timing belt and alternator belt ($266.00) and instead of it fixing my problem it got worse. more starting attempts with worse results, worse idleing, stalling everytime at lights and half the power i originally had. i went to the other place i had them put the carb on and asked him to re-adjust it thinking it was set up for the originally mis-timed engine. he adjusted it but i still had the same problems i went in with except now it idles 2000-2500 again, still has a hard time starting. i took it back to the guy that put the belts on and he said it WAS timed right. so now i dont know what to do... ive got crap for power and its hell to start 80% of the time and backfires as a result of the new timing belt
is there ANYONE out there that can understand my problem? i really want this car to run right its my baby and i dont want to junk it

Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1981 Honda not running right

I have no experience with an accord with a carb. The search function on this forum still isn't working, so that isn't an option right now.

A vacuum leak is a common source of idle problems.

I have no idea how the intake on an 81 is set up, so I can't give detailed instructions. You might have a sticker under the hood with a diagram of the vacuum hoses. Make sure that the hoses are connected properly.

I would inspect all vacuum hoses for any cracks or deterioration and replace any suspect hoses.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
xbox1986
Unregistered

thank you very much, i will have the mechanic check all of the hoses as well as the timing belt (just in case he did screw it up the first time) and honestly im suprised i got any response becaase im certain i have the oldest accord in the forum, plus who has a car with a carb these days right? thank you again for the vaccumidea i'll let you know if it runs tommorow

Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Have your mechanic test the timing by putting a timing light on there. That should indicate if the spark is adequate.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 PM
xbox1986
Unregistered

you were right, vaccum problem. different mechanic checked it out and a vaccum problem has caused the carb to dump excess fuel into the engine and clog itself up, hense the crappy starting and degrading run quality, so i need the original mechanic to put on a new carb and new vaccum hoses. thanks again

Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Did the second mechanic specifically tell you the source of the vacuum problem?

I would think that your new carb should still be alright. Even if excess fuel was being dumped in.