General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Accord "bucks"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Default 1988 Accord "bucks"

When I first start up my car, it runs great, but after awhile, once warmed up, it starts to "buck" while shifting or accelerating. If I feather the gas, I sometimes avoid it. However, more recently, my car stalls at intersections while coming to a stop. My car has a carb. I had just bought the car and replaced PCV,plug wires, fuel filters, cleaned and regapped plugs. Previous owner removed air cleaner assy and plugged all vacuum lines. He then miss placed the assembly so I had to purchase a another one. I'm NOT getting a check engine light on. What purpose does the computer have for the carbs? Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1988 Accord "bucks"

does the car idle ok at all ??
cause you say when you start it up runs good,, but when you first start the car, engine should be in a fast idle rpms anywhere from 1500 to 2500 ..
and once warm the fast idle kicks off thus you got just base idle.. so my question ,,, does the car run ok at all when at base idle ?? ( 750-800 ) or does it die at idle all the time ??
it almost sounds like you got internal carb issues

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Once the car warms up, it idles ok, not the best but ok. Just recently did it start to die at intersections. The bucking occurs shortly after the engine is warmed up and while I am accelerating. Doesn't really matter if I'm between shifting or accelerating, still bucks, almost like a miss. The car is a 1988 accord lx, with a five speed tranny. My first instinct was the ignition system breaking down. That is why I replaced wires, cap and rotor. Then the car became a smogger, so I replaced the PCV, which cured that problem. The air cleaner assembly I replaced had the vacuum lines still attached and fell right into place to where they go, so I'm pretty sure I hooked them up ok. Whatcha think? I too figure maybe carb.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 PM

are the plugs ok ?? oil fouled ? ngk plugs BPR5EY-11 ??

Old 08-10-2006, 01:17 AM

I pulled the plugs, cleaned and re-gapped them two weeks ago. I do know they are a champion brand but they looked fairly new at the time, I can throw in a set of ngk's if you think that will work.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 AM

bad plugs can make the engine miss ,,( buck ) but it is the dying at stops that makes my thing it is a carb issue

i want you to chk something

On the back of the carb , below the idle solenoid there are 2 vacc hoses ,, make sure those hoses are not cracked or broken,, if so replace them and test drive the car

for the dying at stops,,,,,,, first off make sure you get power ant idle solenoid with the key on,, you should be able to hear it click.. if ok

remove the idle solenoid 8 mm bolt, spary some carb cleaner in the carb opening ,, it would be great if you can get some compressed air and blow in to the passage as well
put it all together and terst drive

CAREFUL not to lose the idle solenoid o-ring ..

Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 AM

Ok, I'm back from my business trip and checked the areas you spoke of. Didn't help, in fact, after that fast idle kicks off, it doesn't want to idle at all. Just dies. I think maybe I should rebuild the carb, but before I do that, I need to check power at the idle solinoid. I also replaced the Champion plugs with the recommended NGK's. As a matter of fact, the previous owner had the wrong plugs in anyway, so I was hoping by switching to NGK's would have helped. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM

I recently rebuilt my carb, but now I can't get the car to stop "dieseling" after I turn the key off. I was going to adjust the fuel/air mixture but ican't seem to locate the screw. anyone know where the fuel/air mixture screw is located? Thanks for any assistance.