General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
WTMARK
Unregistered
Default 1989 accord

Howdy, just bought a '89 accord beater with the emphasis on beat. I am a Honda novice, but no novice to wrenching (my 24 drawer rollaway weighs 3700 lbs!).
Some questions:
Power windows don't work. The on/off switch on top ofthe window switches is busted. Can this be bypassed?
The turn signal stalk is missing. Is this a simple turn signal switch or does it control headlights also. Where can I find a replacement? So far, all I've been able to locate is a complete used column for a hundred bucks............is that cheaper than just the switch?
I have not got the car home yet, gonna pick it up tomorrow (50 miles away). These are the two issues I noticed when I gave it a quick two mile test drive. It drove out good (168K miles) but the check engine light did come on. The clutch was fine and no funny noises from CV's or engine. It's replacing a '85 Lincoln Mk VII which has finally gave up the ghost. I'm driving the Mk VII across the scales tomorrow and then my buddy, the car wholesaler, is gonna pick me up and take me to the Accord.
Please help this Honda novice.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
WTMARK
Unregistered
Default RE: 1989 accord

no takers?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM

You probally need to replace the whole switch assembly on the drivers window, could be fairly pricey, as for the turn signal switch it does control the headlights also, suggest finding a junk yard for both those items...the switch from honda may cost you about 90 bucks and its fairly easy to replace, napa or another local auto parts store may be able to get one also. The check engine light may be as simple as an o2 sensor, to check the code on this model im pretty sure theres a blue 2 pin connector near the passenger side kick panel, all you have to do is insert a paper clip and short the 2 connectors, it should then flash your codes with the bulb in the cluster, once it starts count the long flashes and the short flashes and thats your code say a 4-5 will be 4 long flashes than 5 quicker flashes...Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
WTMARK
Unregistered

Thank you sir

Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

on those older LXi fuel injected Accords the way to get the CEL flash code is to stand on your head and look under the drivers seat from the rear floorboard.
The ECU cover has a little plastic door on it you can open to watch the LED flash when the key is turned on.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM

You need to get a new headlamp switch and it will be a whole lot more expensive than $90....Because those switches do not separate like the new ones. The headlamp and the windshield wiper switches are all one piece.

The reason that I say to get a new one, is because those switches are BAD about failing to illuminate the tail lamps when they get older and the newest vehicle that switch would be on is an '89 Accord.

Spend the extra cash and get a new headlamp combo switch and you will need to get it from Honda. It is cheaper that a ticket for tail lamps not working one night when you are on the road.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM

thanks for the corrections honda ed, dont work on too many of those oldies in a dealership....

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Easy mistake.....until 1990, those combo switches were one peice on the Accord and they are outrageous in price....The last one we bought listed for around $189!!!

Get this, the last time our shop replaced one of those expensive switches, we were told by the female customer, that her leg hit it and broke off the headlamp side of the switch.....What kind of compromising position can you be in that your leg can break a combo switch?!?!?

But anyway, if you use a used switch, it will bite you in the backside because of the worn contacts and the tail lamps not working

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com